Essential Functions and Duties
· Develop and maintain relationships with existing and potential suppliers; Select best source based on cost, lead time, quality, and customer service.
· Perform routine purchase spend analysis for assigned raw materials category(s).
· Evaluate and maintain appropriate inventory levels consistent with forecast, demand and/or targeted inventory goals as set by management.
· Apply basic knowledge of the principles and practices of procure-to-pay, finance, and accounting; and current market conditions, trends, and new product development processes.
· Place purchase orders / blanket purchase order and follow up with vendors to ensure that commodities/ingredients/packaging materials are available to meet forecast and planned production needs.
· Review order confirmation/ confirmation of contract for accuracy of price, quantity, dates as compared to purchase orders; and route for approval and/or payment within timelines. Retain documents in compliance with organization’s record retention policy.
· Audit supplier, broker, and Co-Man inventory levels for raw materials category (S).
· Track spending & identify opportunities for lead-time improvements / quality improvement / cost savings by assigned supplier / raw material category(S).
· Perform periodic supplier performance evaluation through Supplier Scorecard and provide feedback to suppliers.
· Support R&D in Innovation process such as supplier search and trials; and support Commercialization efforts to ensure new product launch timeline are met.
· Contribute to support other team members by accomplishing other job-related tasks as needed and/or assigned.
Key Performance Indicators
- Accuracy of work (PO, Contract, Spec., & sourcing)
- Cost savings
- On time delivery / completion of customer requests / projects
- Manage turn time of raw material and Inventory tracking
- Meeting on time product launch dates
- Supplier scorecards
Capabilities & Competencies
- Able to evaluate and manage inventory and manage supplier(s)
- Able to execute implementation plans, projects, & bids
- Creates solid cost/benefit analysis to evaluate ideas and write basic proposals
- Builds business relationship skills & leadership skills with internal & external customers / suppliers
- Lead suppliers on continuous improvement / waste reduction efforts
Mindsets and behaviors:
- Demonstrates the potential to improve & assist in leading change efforts
- Overcomes historical roadblocks
- Links operational improvements to overall targets
- Executes tracking systems to monitor impact of specific initiatives, implements countermeasure plans
Percent of Time Commitment
- 60% – Procure raw materials needed to support all internal & external customers on a daily basis and per approved projects. Manage all suppliers as assigned to achieve goals of the department / business.
- 20% – Networking & gaining understanding of internal / external customers’ needs.
- 15% – Attend meetings / training onsite such as project meeting, Staff meeting, supplier meetings, 1-on-1 development meeting, group training, etc.
- 5% – Attend offsite training, trade show, supplier meeting, supplier audit, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Minimum Education (or substitute experience) required: High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED), Associate Degree preferred
- Minimum Experience required: 2 – 3 years of combined experience in procurement /supplier management / strategic sourcing / customer service / sales (minimum of 1 year in food manufacturing industry is a must)
- Skills Required: Excellent communication skills in English – oral and written
- Relevant experience in an office environment with below skills:
- Knowledge of MRP processes
- Experience using ERP software (Microsoft Dynamics NAV or 365, Oracle, SAP)
- Basic level on Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint
- Data entry
- Copying, scanning, sorting, and filing documents
- Experience working with brokers, contract manufacturing, importers is a plus