Reports to: Operations Leader or Leadsman
Purpose of Job: Operate one or more major items of equipment necessary to perform welding and related tasks in support of jobs contracted by Sulzer EMS; represent SEMS positively on all worksites
Work Schedule: According to needs of SEMS; regularly work 10+ hours/day, 5 days/week; with on call week ends, Day and Night shift work; overtime required; some travel with overnight stay may be required
(These functions are very important to achievement of the job purpose.)
A welder’s assignment changes frequently according to the needs of SEMS and its work. The below-listed functions are the essential functions operators must perform to serve as a member of any work crew at any time as directed by the supervisor(s) in charge.
- Be proficient in wire feed welding to include Dual Shield Wires II70 ultra and 8000 Ni2, solid mig wire spool Arc 83.
- Be proficient at carbon arc gouging “Air Arcing” to include joint prep and crack repair.
- Use cutting, welding, grinding and fabrication skills to perform necessary maintenance on equipment, or in other situations as directed by the lead man or operations leader within the qualifications of the welder.
- Grinding to include weld prep and blend grinding.
- Torch operation to include hand torch, machine torch, track torch and pantograph torch.
- Tig welding to include stainless and aluminum.
7. Operate any item of equipment related to the welding process on which appropriate training, inspection and licensing have been performed, as assigned by a operations leader or lead man and within the equipment’s intended purposes.
8. Maintain the safety of the equipment and work environment by:
a. Inspecting the equipment prior to use,
b. Seeing that proper maintenance and repair are performed, and
c. Following proper procedure, including proper lookout and communication, during all operation or transport of equipment.
9. Maintain all necessary licenses and certifications, including those required by OSHA, MSHA and DOT.
10. Continue training on other SEMS equipment as deemed necessary by SEMS management.
11. Under the direction of the operations leader or lead man, assist with on-the-job training of other employees as appropriate.
12. Use 2-way radio, cell phone or other devices to communicate with operations leader or lead man and client representatives at the worksite.
13. Week end and holiday work is frequently necessary due to the nature of the service business. It is imperative that SEMS be able to service its customer’s equipment when emergency repairs are needed. A great deal of overtime is often required to meet our customer’s needs. You are expected to understand this as a basic requirement of you job. You will be placed on a rotating week end duty on call list. You will also be placed on a Holiday call out list. SEMS will give you as much advance notice of week end and holiday work as possible. You are expected to work if scheduled for overtime unless your supervisor excuses you in advance.
14. Perform some laborer duties to complete contracted work in a timely manner when laborers are unavailable.
Age/Experience: Must be 18 or older
Abilities: Proven ability to perform a variety of fabrication, weld-up and dismantling tasks associated with coalmine equipment and oilfield equipment and maintenance. Ability to successfully complete additional skill and equipment training as time and opportunity permit
Drug Testing: Hiring also contingent on successful passage of initial drug and alcohol test and agreement to submit to, and pass, drug and alcohol tests at random or for reasonable suspicion as an ongoing condition of employment
Preferred Other experience as a SEMS employee; experience with
Qualifications: equipment and processes used in rebuilding mining and oil field equipment; valid driver’s license; and the ability to read, write and converse fluently in English
Attitude: Must have the initiative and enterprise to quickly master the processes and procedures of the job and to complete tasks with or without supervision
Weld Testing: SEMS requires a pre-employment weld test. Following the initial interview
applicants will complete a 1” plate test with Dual Shield II 70 Ultra Wire, and be
approved by visual inspection by the Operations Leader.
Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
Metal Inert Gas (Mig) Welding