Position Title: Director of Student Financial Services
Department: Student Financial Services Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Type: Administrator
Posting Removal Date: Open Until Filled
Union Representation: No Response
Posting Number: 1001829
About Vassar College: Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke free, tobacco free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
Vassar College seeks a dynamic, highly collaborative, engaged, and strategic professional to serve as Director of Student Financial Services. The position oversees the day-to-day management of the Office of Student Financial Services, which includes financial aid, student employment, and student accounts. Reporting to the Dean of Admission and Student Financial Services, the Director oversees a robust and comprehensive financial aid program, which meets the demonstrated need of Vassar students. The Director also provides leadership to student employment and student accounts.
The Director will work closely with the Dean of Admission and Student Financial Services to support the enrollment and retention of highly engaged, creative, and intellectual students, regardless of their family's financial circumstances. The Director will also work with the Dean to enhance the policies and practices in student financial services to ensure exceptional service to current and prospective Vassar families. Furthermore, the Director will support and advocate for the College's values regarding access, affordability, and inclusion.
- Oversee and provide leadership for the Office of Student Financial Services, which includes the College's financial aid program, and the areas of student employment and student accounts.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of all department activities in order to develop and achieve annual goals, including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Create an open, welcoming, and inclusive environment in student financial services that actively supports prospective and current students and their families.
- Manage an operating budget as well as a $70 million financial aid budget.
- Lead, mentor, and provide opportunities for professional growth for a team of 6 professional staff and 4 administrative support staff.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with federal and state regulations and institutional policies, including the annual financial aid audit.
- Oversee reporting to internal and external constituencies including federal/state governments and professional organizations.
- Ensure effectiveness and efficiency of computer applications to secure receipt and transfer of financial aid information electronically.
- Use technology to streamline work and anticipate future technology needs in order to be responsive to the needs of prospective and current students.
- Develop and administer departmental standard operating procedures.
- Represent the College to external agencies and groups, including attending state, regional, and national conferences and policy meetings to maintain regional and national visibility.
- Participate in all aspects of the general financial aid process; including counseling prospective and current Vassar families, managing a caseload of prospective and current students, needs analysis and packaging, and committee discussions.
- Coordinate special projects/tasks and provide assistance as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree is required. Advanced degree is preferred.
- A minimum of eight years of progressively responsible experience in financial aid management, preferably at an institution with a robust need-based program, is required.
- Strong understanding of the nature and aims of a selective liberal arts college.
- Strong team building skills and a record of success hiring, mentoring, managing, and supervising staff.
- Significant and deep experience with Institutional Methodology (IM).
- Expertise with compliance and regulatory policies.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiasm for and demonstrated commitment to supporting a student body that is broadly diverse with regard to gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and religion, among other factors.
- Knowledge of online management systems; experience with PowerFAIDS, Banner, and Workday is preferred.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate complex issues with clarity.
- Evidence of creativity and innovation in problem solving and strategy implementation.
- Demonstrated aptitude for counseling students and families.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- A willingness to work extended and weekend hours during peak periods.
- Leadership skills: Highly collaborative, dynamic, empathetic, patient, and good humored.
- A valid driver's license.
Required Applicant Documents: Resume, Cover Letter, Contact Information for 3 References
Special Instructions to Applicants: To complete your on-line application, you will need to submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information of three professional references (Word or PDF format required). This posting will remain open until the position has been filled.
Coaching And Mentoring