Katten is a firm of first choice for clients seeking sophisticated, high-value legal services in the United States and abroad. Our nationally recognized practices include corporate, financial services, litigation, real estate, environmental, commercial finance, insolvency and restructuring, intellectual property, and trusts and estates. Our more than 650 attorneys serve public and private companies, including a third of the Fortune 100, as well as a number of government and nonprofit organizations and individuals. We provide full-service legal advice from locations across the United States and in London and Shanghai.
Summary for the Practice Management Coordinator
The Practice Management Coordinator supports the Practice Managers, the Chief Practice Operations Officer, National and Local Department Heads and Practice Group Leaders with the daily operations and business management of their assigned departments to drive the strategic and profitable growth of the Firm. The Practice Management Coordinator assists with implementation of Firm-wide strategic projects and initiatives at the department and practice group levels. This position will collaborate across offices, practice groups, and infrastructure departments, including Attorney Development, Legal Recruiting, Marketing and Business Development, Finance, Information Technology and various functional teams on related projects and initiatives.
This position can be located in either our Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles - Century City, New York or Washington, D.C. office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide the highest level of service to department heads, practice group leaders, attorneys and other timekeepers. Supports the Practice Managers with daily operations and administrative tasks related to the management of the legal departments and practice groups; including the organization and execution of department, practice group and partner meetings and internal events.
- Assist with department communications, meeting logistics and agendas, minutes, materials and correspondence.
- Maintain practice group administrative documents worksite including reports, budgets, ad-hoc project materials, etc.
- Collaborate with Finance team members to respond to requests for financial information.
- Review and analyze data, including department financial information such as profitability, attorney production and utilization, billings and collections, budgets and forecasting. Perform issue-spotting and confirm report accuracy.
- Maintain content for practice group Intranet sites, including resources, news and events and calendars.
- Assist, as needed, with the implementation and maintenance of knowledge and matter management systems and manage practice group resources.
- Support execution of Firm-wide initiatives at the practice group or department level. Identify and recommend process improvements to increase efficiencies across practice and Firm operations.
- Where appropriate, collaborate with Pricing, Marketing and Business Development, Attorney Development, Attorney Recruiting, Human Resources, IT and other functional teams on related projects and initiatives.
- Assist with ad hoc projects at the request of Practice Management team members.
- Perform a variety of administrative tasks and provide general support as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required; minimum two years of experience in a law firm, financial or professional services, or corporate environment. Client services experience a plus.
- Computer proficient in Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Power Point and Excel).
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information, and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, firm management, interns, and outside contacts.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and project management skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to perform essential duties relevant to the Practice Management administrative functions.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in managing multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment utilizing excellent judgment, administrative abilities, and decision-making skills. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, creativity, vision and follow-through skills.
- Dependable team player who exhibits a high degree of initiative, critical-thinking skills, and excellent judgment. Works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to understand and support firm goals, services, culture and strategy. Highly motivated and strategic focus.
- Outstanding organizational, planning, and project management skills including record keeping, and data collection. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish concise, detailed information in report format, written correspondence, e‑mail, or verbally.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution; transportation fringe benefit program; back-up care option; generous paid time off policy; and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Katten is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA-M/F/SO/Disability/Veteran.
Process Improvements (Business)