ALTA is seeking a Solaris System Administrator to work in Bethesda, MD. Regular 9-5 Shifts with After-hours and weekend on-call requirement.
Resources MUST have a public trust prior to starting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides technical support and hardware and software expertise for the CIT Unix Hosting team to ensure that they operate accurately and efficiently in response to user requirements in an enterprise environment. It shall include such diverse tasks as installing applications, diagnosing and resolving system problems, testing software, and documenting operating procedures.
• Assists with installation, upgrade, and maintenance, as needed, of applications (identified by the government) both freeware and vendor supplied.
• Provides Unix Solaris systems support in an enterprise production 24x7 environment, with rotating on-call duties. This includes working evenings and weekends to provide operations support and accommodate customer needs for off-hours maintenance completion.
• Records the problem symptoms (government provided pre-defined log).
• Provides resolutions for hardware and software problems.
• Analyzes root causes.
• Refers other problems (e.g. networking) to the appropriate organizations.
• Coordinates/schedules remedial actions (e.g. disk swapping, backups, maintenance fixes, etc.) with vendor and/or operations personnel.
• Tracks status of all problems within the Unix hosting environment, through resolution.
• Documents special procedures required for continuous operations of systems.
• Reviews monitoring logs for problem identification and reports issues according to documented processes and suggests resolutions.
• Maintains statistical information to help track persistent problems using predefined log.
• Installs and configures new hardware components for operations in a Data Center networked environment.
• Installs patches.
• Builds new Solaris Systems.
• Interfaces with customers as necessary to support their operational environment.
• Schedules vendor maintenance and services activities
• Assists with testing of software operations and Operating System upgrades.
• Plans, conducts, and reports tests with appropriate government staff.
• Documents security procedures, on an as needed basis, according to security policy and guidelines.
• Monitors/reports on unauthorized access attempts.
• Monitors security logs to determine security problems.
• Remediates identified security vulnerabilities.
• Tracks system utilization, daily, to determine if problems are imminent.
• Monitor and provide daily reports on system performance to pinpoint performance bottlenecks.
• Provides audit information and reviews to ensure compliance and remediates findings when necessary
• Provides technical input to evaluation of alternative methods.
• Assists with documentation of procedures.
• Develops and maintains detailed and accurate documentation as requested by the Service Manager, team lead and/or CTR. Documentation may be required for operational procedures, troubleshooting aids, and technical analyses for products, features, and capabilities.
• Ensures all changes are logged through the use of listserv archive lists, and division, branch, and team change management procedures.
• Uses CIT and HSS service management tools, which include Service Now for work request ticket management to respond to and document work efforts requested by customers.
Experience, expertise and educational requirements:
• A bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, MIS or related subject, or 3 years of relevant, related work experience. Certain kinds of experience may be used in lieu of education. In order to substitute experience for educational requirements, the experience must be recognized as sufficiently technical or specialized to achieve the knowledge and skills needed (mid-level).
• Required experience and skills include but are not limited to Solaris 10, Solaris 11, ZFS, Solaris LDOM/CDOM and Zone experience, Live Upgrade, Linux, Oracle Ops Center.
• At least one year experience working in a production environment on Solaris systems in a virtual (zone) environment (junior level); or at least three years of experience as a computer professional maintaining, configuring, installing, and supporting Unix servers and resources, of which at least one year of experience must involve the enterprise system administration of Solaris (mid-level).
• Required experience scripting (Perl, KSH, CSH, python) – 1yr junior, 3 years mid.
• Required, ability to gain a public trust clearance
• Ability to analyze information requirements.
• Ability to coordinate closely with system DBAs or customers to ensure proper implementation of program and system specifications.
• Ability to evaluate problems analytically and systematically and develop appropriate corrective action.
• Ability to work cooperatively and to function well in a team environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skill to be able to ascertain user requirements and prepare documentation.
• Excellent customer interface skills.
-Solaris 10 and 11
Installations (Computer Systems)
Solaris (Operating System)