The YMCA of South Florida’s Youth Development Team in Miami-Dade County is now hiring Certified Teachers for our Summer Camp Programs. Under the direction of the Site Supervisor, the Certified Teacher is responsible for overall day-to-day group academic programming, discipline, direct supervision and management of an assigned group of children in a licensed child care/day camp facility as assigned by the Program Director. All Summer Camp employees have the opportunity to continue working in our afterschool programs in the fall.
- The Certified Teacher has overall responsibility for the academic instruction and program enrichment including the delivery of program curriculum and homework assistance. This could include day-to-day group programming, discipline, direct supervision and management of 10-20 children in the after-school program.
- Review, implement, and lead academic and project-learning instructions/ activities aligned with the contract scope of work, as indicated by the grant funding agency.
- Plan, supervise and implement activities for assigned group of children in accordance to both age and developmentally appropriate practices as outlined by licensing agency, State of Florida and the YMCA of South Florida mission and YMCA Child Care Personnel Policies by submitting outcome data and curricula / lesson plans to the Lead Teacher/ Curriculum Specialist and/or Program Director in a timely and neat manner.
- Conduct and maintain any necessary measurable tools to track participant progress.
- Follow proper emergency procedures appropriate to the facility and in conformity with procedures adopted by the YMCA of South Florida and emergency service authorities to ensure the safety of children.
- Preserve the quality of supplies, equipment and materials. Ensuring supplies remain appropriately stocked by reporting re-order needs to the Site Supervisor and Lead Teacher/ Curriculum Specialist.
- Provide regular inspections of areas used by the program to ensure both cleanliness and safety.
- Maintain close coordination with facility personnel for safety and benefit of children in the program.
- Document behavior issues and/or incidents daily, as needed.
- Report notable health issues of each child daily noting fever, bumps, bruises, burns, or other questionable signs of abuse and document the incident with the Site Supervisor. Report all incidents and accidents immediately to Site Supervisor.
- Adhere to the Child Abuse & Neglect Reporting requirements which mandate by law all child care personnel to report suspicions of child abuse, neglect, or abandonment. The YMCA requires employees to follow the internal reporting procedures with the assistance of the Program Directors.
- Ensure that the proper staffs to child ratios are maintained at all times and reports discrepancies to the Site Supervisor as needed.
- Outgoing personality enjoys speaking to people.
- Innate desire to provide excellent customer service.
- Flexible and Accommodating
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher and possess a valid Florida Teaching Certificate.
- One (1) year to Three (3) year experience in a licensed child care/day camp facility or educational institution which includes direct contact with children.
- Ability to relate to people; understand and practice YMCA Character Development values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- The Certified Teacher of the after school program facility must be at least twenty-one (21) years-old at the time of hire.
Certificates and Licenses:
- State of Florida Teacher Certification.
- It is the responsibility of the Certified Teacher to complete and maintain all necessary certifications, within the proper time frame, as set forth by either the licensing agency, State of Florida or the YMCA of South Florida.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit to and satisfactorily clear a thorough Level II fingerprinting background screening.
The YMCA of South Florida is a Drug Free Workplace and is committed to the policy of Equal Opportunity prohibiting discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation, age or disability.