The major focus of this position is the supervision of the patient care environment; supporting the care team and the work of the Nurse Manager/Director.
Primary customers include the staff, physicians, patients/families and other members of the health care team.
As a member of the leadership team, monitors and maintains clinical standards of care; maintains accountability for the assurance of appropriate staffing resources and provision of quality, evidence-based patient care.
Acts as and represents Unit leadership when the Nurse Manager/Director is unavailable.
Demonstrates knowledge of and delivers care in accordance with the Kentucky Nurse Practice Act. Functions as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
Participates in maintaining staff competencies through education, mentoring and role modeling.
Supports the Nurse Manager/Director in interviewing and making hiring decisions; training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and mentoring/coaching employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Assists the Nurse Manager /Director in disciplining employees.
1. Serves as the RN in Charge of the Department and provides direct supervision of personnel practicing in nursing service areas, makes patient care assignments, evaluates assignments, facilitates patient throughput, and directly observes staff performance on all shifts, including periodic weekend presence.
2. Assists nurse manager in interviewing, onboarding, mentoring and evaluating new staff members.
3. Does real-time education of staff as needed.
4. In collaboration with Nurse Manger/Director, prepares and delivers 90- day and annual performance evaluations of assigned staff members.
5. Monitors productivity and assures that staffing and resources are aligned with patient care needs.
6. Communicates personnel related concerns to Nurse Manager and assists Nurse Manager with preparing and delivering corrective actions to employees.
7. Maintains unit professional standards and regulatory compliance: (standards, competencies, certifications, etc.)
8. Assists the Nurse Manager with investigation and follow up on reported patient care events, and holds staff accountable to approved corrections, processes and practices.
9. Follows up on patient and physician concerns as appropriate.
10. Contributes to the success of the Nursing Division by completing projects as needed.
11. Teaches, monitors and supports best practices to enhance Patient Experience.
12. Assists with monitoring and data collection of unit quality initiatives
13. Assists Nurse Manager with staff schedules, payroll etc.
14. Other tasks as assigned to support unit operations as directed by the Nurse Manager/Director