J. Walter Becker founded IDEAL in 1916 and made a promise that is still an important part of the way IDEAL operates today: "An IDEAL product will provide a value greater than the price paid for it. Service is a part of the product." Becker's foundational principle represents our everyday commitment to you. It's the driving force behind our partnerships with the world's leading distributors, a state of the art delivery system, outstanding customer and technical support and variety of operational benefits designed to save you time and money. It means we're proud of the way we do business.
A subsidiary of IDEAL, Western Forge produces the highest-quality metal work in the USA and is an American standard in premier hand tool craftsmanship. Western Forge is located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Rated #1 "Most Desirable Places to Live" by U.S.News & World Report (2018-2019).
The Operations Excellence Coordinator is responsible for driving our Lean deployment including training, coaching, and fostering our “Respect for People” culture. This role will manage all continuous improvement activities to decrease waste, improve reliability, and measure successes. Results will be achieved through a discerning project selection process, formal project recognition program, and Lean tool integration in day-to-day business practices. Further, this role will work with the leadership team to tie strategic plans to tactical execution by participating in balance scorecard process, counseling on KPIs, and challenging the status quo.
- Ensure utilization of Value Stream Mapping to identify, understand, and then decrease waste to transition the process from the current state to the future state.
- Drive implementation of visual cues and communication tools in both the factory and office environment to provide "status at a glance" and to allow quick and simple detection of abnormal operating conditions.
- Drive implementation of pull systems and Kanban to reduce work in process, inventory, cycle times, and lead times.
- Manage process of gathering, selection, launch and monitoring of all company's Lean cross-functional teams for projects which will directly add value to our customers
- Organize and lead our Lean deployment review with project teams and leadership team
Implement Lean project recognition program Lead and coach process owners and teams in defining, documenting, measuring, analyzing, improving, and controlling business processes
- Provide on-going counsel and guidance regarding key processes and metrics
- Collaborate with engineering to connect tactical projects to business strategy
- Provide training for Lean deployment and Continuous Improvement Program
- Partner with Quality to identify process deficiency and corrective action
- Manage Western Forge participation in Ideal Operations Excellence team and Operational Award submittals
- Engage peers, middle and upper management in analyzing performance, defining processes and tools to challenge and improve the status quo
- Support the removal of barriers that prevent projects success
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive experience in a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated success driving lean activities resulting in measurable improvements
- Experience successfully working with other plant functions including: Production, Engineering, Quality, Human Resources, Materials, Lean, Sourcing, Maintenance/Facilities, and Accounting.
- Ability to coach, motivate, train and delegate responsibility
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Must be a process thinker, capable of providing a detailed focus on process and system
- Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing techniques, capable of establishing a continuous improvement roadmap to drive out waste within organization
- Must have strong project management skills
- Must have proficient communication skills (both written and oral)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Sound leadership judgment, capable of establishing credibility with leadership team to drive a culture of high ethical standards while continually focusing on growth, performance improvement and cost reduction
- Effective interpersonal skills, including presentation, listening and coaching skills as required to work with teams. Solid conflict resolution and problem-solving skills a must
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, community environment
- Adaptable to learning and incorporating new ideas quickly
- Strong collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to effectively lead across functions.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- Able and willing to take initiative to evaluate and solve problems creatively
- Able to prioritize assignments to successfully complete projects on-time and within budget.
Value Stream Mapping
Continuous Improvement Process