Job Summary for Quality Engineer:
The Quality Engineer works collaboratively with all functional areas to proactively implement quality design, manufacturing and administrative processes. This position is also responsible for assessing product and process risk, performing root cause analysis and implementing long term correct actions to prevent the recurrence of quality issues. The Quality engineer will also lead all sourcing activities. The Quality Engineer will also act as a local liaison for OSHA/EHHS, working with corporate to ensure corporate OSHA/EHHS guidelines are met.
Supports the Hickory Operation by managing all of the day to day activities pertaining to the Quality of the parts. Working closely with the Plant/Production Manager to support the daily business plan by prioritizing the inspection of components scheduled for assembly or shipment, and/or completed, assembled units staged for final inspection, prior to shipment. Also, to assist manufacturing personnel and evaluate any questions that may arise during the assembly process.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities for the Quality Engineer:
- Inspect products using gauges, calipers, micrometers and other required measuring equipment
- Perform inspections on incoming product, material, manufacturing processes, and outgoing product
- Reconcile final inspection documentation for shipments
- Visually compares work pieces against one another to assess/detect manufacturing variations in processes
- Collaborate with operations team to review and improve manufacturing and inspection plans for compliance to drawings, specifications and engineering requirements.
- Assists in final part preparation to support shipping
- Performs audits on company Quality Management System as needed
- Assists in evaluating warranty returns
- Able to read and fully understand drawing requirements utilizing geometric dimensioning & tolerancing (GD&T)
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Conduct complaint investigations and work with appropriate parties in providing corrective action and preventive actions based on sound engineering analysis.
- Supports the Hickory Operation by managing all of the day to day activities pertaining to the Quality of the parts.
- Manage the document control system
- Acts a liaison between Sourcing, Engineering and operations to resolve specification and customer critical questions
- Own and manage the Discrepant Material Review (DMR) and the Supplier Corrective Action process (SCAR)
- Be the central point of control for product non-conformance and material disposition
- Participates as the supplier development representative towards supplier qualification, first article approval and supplier control plans
- Maintain an up-to-date supplier performance rating
- Own the gauge calibration program
- First pass Yield tracking and reporting
Education and Experience Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or 5+ years in the inspection and quality arena
- Demonstrated basic problem-solving experience in root cause corrective action, 5-why analysis, or similar systematic approach to problem solving
- Mechanical aptitude desired
- Strong interpretational skills regarding blueprint reading and ANSI knowledge a must
- Strong working knowledge of a wide range of measurement instruments and use is required
- General proficiency of Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word, Basic AutoCad a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills is required
- Ability to work with others in a team environment
- Ability to work unsupervised the majority of the day
Core Competencies of Quality Engineer
- Functional Technical Skills
- Problem Solving
- Process Management
- Customer Focus
- Adherence to Quality Standards
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
Production environment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to lift 25 lbs. Overtime may be required based on production schedule.
TriMech Services is an engineering resource provider specializing in the placement of qualified technical candidates for both temporary and direct hire opportunities. TriMech Services offers a unique approach to matching the specialized skill sets of our candidates to the engineering specific industry.