To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Torrance, CA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Celestron, LLC • Torrance, CA
Posted 2 months ago
Mechanical solutions for new products is the primary responsibility of the mechanical engineer in the Product Development Department at Celestron. Execute well thought out solutions, using good mechanical engineering methodology throughout the life of the product, from cradle to grave. This includes the mechanical engineering of parts/assemblies using specific manufacturing processes, material specifications, and assembly procedures. The M.E. will create engineering drawings that will include dimensions, tolerances, and specifications based on ANSI standards of engineering. Stress analysis (preferably using software) may also be required. Another area of responsibility is supporting the Production Department in diagnosing and validating mechanical engineering solutions to various production problems when they arise. This could involve direct communication with our manufacturing partners and vendors in China. Travel to China up to 3 or 4 times a year will be a responsibility of this position. When traveling to China, the M.E. needs to be able to problem solve and effectively communicate (with Mandarin translator, if needed) while making calculated decisions when unexpected situations arise.
Salary/wage: Competitive Salary
- Take projects from conceptualization and design stages and carry it every step of the way into production.
- Complete assigned mechanical engineering and associated tasks to meet the goals of the Product Development department.
- On-time delivery of expected work and results. Assess work to be done and available resources in order to provide accurate timelines for project/task completion.
- Coordinate internal and external resources as required for successful mechanical design completion. This includes prototype building.
- Work in a team environment of Product Managers, Industrial Designers, Electrical Engineers, Firmware Engineers and Optical Engineers.
- Provide clear, concise, and error-free documentation of completed mechanical designs in order to facilitate efficient hand-offs of designs/information to our manufacturing partners and/or other engineers.
- Problem solving and resolution for mechanical production problems as needed.
- Bring mechanical and innovative thinking to the Product Development Department. Identify and implement new processes and design techniques that will allow Celestron to remain the world’s most innovative, leading telescope brand.
- Mechanical Engineering - Provide effective mechanical engineering as required to meet project goals. Coordinate external resources, as required, to complete successful mechanical engineering. Provide 3-D (part files) and 2-D (mechanical engineering drawings), as required. Complete stress analysis, as required.
- Prototype building and testing – Participate in mechanical prototype building and testing as required to prove mechanical design (primarily mechanical engineering and assembly) prior to the formal release of documentation to manufacturing. Testing of pre-production, first articles, and production samples as required, to ensure units manufactured and shipped to customers will mechanically function properly.
- Documentation- Organize/maintain mechanical design documentation in clear and concise packages so they can be accessed and communicated with little confusion or errors. Ensure the transition of mechanical design documentation from Product Development to our manufacturing partners (typically in China) is efficient and problem-free.
- roduction problems- Work with Celestron staff and our manufacturing partners to resolve mechanical design problems found with products in production.
- ther miscellaneous tasks, as assigned, to meet the goals of the Product Development department.
The ideal candidate should meet the following qualifications:
- Education: BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent degree or job experience).
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience Mechanical Design. Mechanical design experience in consumer goods product preferred.
- Good knowledge of production processes, such as injection molding, die-casting, sheet metal forming, principles of machining.
- Fluent in SolidWorks is a must, with the ability to create complex assemblies, 3D part files and 2D engineering drawings using the software.
- Communicate fluently and effectively in English both verbal and written formats.
- Ability to maintain complete and accurate design project records.
- SolidWorks certification courses.
- Experience in robotics is a plus.
- Experience in using mechanical stress analysis software.
- Speak Chinese (Mandarin) a plus.
- Experience in documenting assembly instructions and or procedures for manufacturing.
- Astronomy experience.
CELESTRON offers an attractive compensation package, including salary plus bonus. A competitive medical benefits package as well as a 401k plan is offered.
Please e-mail your cover letter, resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or you may fax your resume to: (310) 328-4061. No phone calls please.