Assists in the examination and treatment of patients by tracking patient information, documenting the medical record, assisting with in office procedures and testing, administering medications and providing patient and caregiver education. Duties are performed under the oversight and direction of professional clinical staff and providers as outlined in the Clinical Support Staff Scope of Practice document.
- Creates a positive, professional, service-oriented work environment for staff, patients and family members by supporting the IHA CARES mission and core values statement
- Must be able to work effectively as a member of the clinical care team.
- Successfully completes IHA's "The Customer" training and adheres to IHA's standard of promptly providing a high level of service and respect to internal or external customers.
- Maintains knowledge of and complies with IHA standards, policies and procedures, including IHA's Employee Handbook.
- Maintains complete knowledge of office services and in the use of all relevant office equipment, computer, and manual systems.
- Maintains strict patient and employee confidentiality in compliance with IHA and HIPAA guidelines.
- Serves as a role model, by demonstrating exceptional ability and willingness to take on new and additional responsibilities. Embraces new ideas and respects cultural differences.
- Uses resources efficiently.
- If applicable, responsible for ongoing professional development - maintains appropriate licensure and continuing education credentials, participates in available learning opportunities.
Performance that meets or exceeds IHA CARES Values expectation as outlined in IHA Performance Review document, relative to position.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED. Successful completion of accredited/approved MA program and MA Externship, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) program, Paramedic program or Certified Athletic Trainer. If credentialed, maintains current MA Re-Certification CEUs.
MA-Non Credentialed I: MA eligible to attain Medical Assistant Certification is desired, or EMT with current/active license in the State of Michigan, or Paramedic following successful completion of the National Registry Paramedic Exam and/or holds a current/active license in the State of Michigan. Valid CPR certification.
MA-Credentialed I: Certification as a Medical Assistant through one of the following certifying agencies:
- American Association of Medical Assistants (CMA)
- American Medical Technologists (RMA)
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCMA)
- National Healthcareer Association (CCMA)
- National Association of Health Professionals (NRCMA)
- National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP)
- American Medical Certification Association (AMCA)
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: 0-1 year previous clinical experience or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS (ABILITIES & SKILLS):
- Ability to perform all NEO Basic Competencies.
- Demonstrated competency in obtaining accurate patient vital statistics (height, weight, blood pressure, temperature, etc.) and patient health history.
- Proficient/knowledgeable in medical terminology.
- Proficiency in operating a standard desktop and Windows-based computer system, including but not limited to, electronic medical records, email, e-learning, intranet and computer navigation. Ability to use other software as required while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal forms, including proper phone etiquette.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment; courteous and friendly demeanor.
- Ability to work effectively with various levels of organizational members and diverse populations including IHA staff, providers, patients, vendors, family members, outside customers and community groups.
- Ability to cross-train in other areas of practice in order to achieve smooth flow of all operations.
- Good organizational and time management skills to effectively juggle multiple priorities, time constraints and ever-changing medical situations.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations needed during the course of performing basic job duties, i.e.: calculating proper dosages for immunizations.
- Knowledge of the compliance aspects of clinical care and patient privacy and best practices in medical office operations.
- Ability to handle patient and organizational information in a confidential manner.
- Ability to monitor, organize, stock, prepare and keep exam rooms clean; maintain medical supply inventory in clinical areas.
- Ability to travel to other office/practice sites and meeting and training locations.
- Successful completion of IHA competency-based program within introductory and training period.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Greets and courteously escorts patient and other guests to examination room.
- Determines and documents reason for the visit; utilizes critical thinking skills within the scope of the role to assess if patient information requires higher level follow up.
- Performs initial response screening following protocols approved by supervising healthcare provider (i.e. physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, nurse midwife); obtains information from patient to complete appropriate EMR template(s) to update patient history.
- Obtains patient vital signs and accurately documents information in patient EMR file; including vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, height and weight; calculates and documents BMI.
- Directly enters medication, laboratory and radiology orders into the electronic medical record per state, local and professional guidelines.
- Performs diagnostic tests as directed by healthcare provider. May operate equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
- Credentialed MAs will perform TB testing.
- Tracks and informs patient of laboratory/diagnostic test results as directed by provider and according to IHA/office protocols; communicates with patient regarding provider instructions based on test results received.
- Administers prescribed medications and facilitates prescription renewals as directed by healthcare provider.
- Performs general specimen collection duties (including blood, urine, throat swabs, etc.) or other office procedures as required; during the performance of these duties adheres to all IHA specified policies, procedures and safety precautions.
- Participates in disease management programs under supervision of Care Manager and/or Nurse Manager.
- Actively works to improve practice performance on Quality incentives including but not limited to Provider Dashboard, PCMH, and Health Plan incentives such as BCN Physician Recognition Program, BCBSM Clinical Quality and Priority Health Physician Improvement Plan.
- Provides patient/family education as directed by healthcare provider.
- Takes and relays accurate, comprehensive, dated and signed messages in a timely manner.
- Serves as liaison between patient and healthcare provider when necessary. Ensures timely and courteous follow-up regarding patient questions.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Supports other offices, attends meetings and training as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned and works within the scope of MA certification.
Electronic Medical Record