This position is responsible for the coordination and evaluation of
human resource functions within the UCF Arecibo Observatory location;
including talent management, benefits, compensation, compliance,
employee relations, employee engagement, training and special projects.
This position is also responsible for maintaining knowledge in and
assisting with the administration and interpretation of all human
resource and Puerto Rico related federal, state and local laws,
compliance and reporting. This position is required to maintain a broad
knowledge of university regulations, policies, procedures, and legal and
regulatory updates as it relates to all aspects of human resources.
- Communicate routinely with employees regarding inquiries, issues and
complaints. When appropriate, serve as a liaison between employees and
both central and Office of Research human resources to ensure quick,
equitable, courteous resolutions.
- Foster strong working relationships with key university partners,
including UCF central human resources, Office of Research human
resources, UCF Global, Office of Institutional Equity, Diversity &
Inclusion, and Compliance, Ethics & Risk. Maintain communication and
interaction with key partners for day to day standard operations as
well as strategic initiatives as directed by management.
- Interface and manage relationship with Professional Employer
Organization (PEO). Serve as a point of contact for Puerto Rico health
insurance plan sponsor and National Science Foundation as needed.
Complete any necessary actions including answering general questions,
correcting errors, and utilizing various systems to research
- Oversee local timekeeping and payroll processes, procedures and system.
- Assist with recruiting efforts including, but not limited to,
posting requisitions, tracking open positions, proper screening and
interviewing, gathering feedback, and assisting managers in preparing
offer letters and contracts.
- Assist with facilitating the search committee process for senior
executives and faculty positions in partnership with Office of Research
human resources. Ensure hiring paperwork is consistent and in compliance
with UCF HR hiring procedures and record keeping requirements.
- Coordinate and facilitate formal New Hire Orientation, Open
Enrollment Sessions, and other educational trainings as needed.
Collaborate with central and Office of Research human resources offices
to plan, design, develop, and deliver training as needed and/or
- Educate and assist employees with enrollment in insurance and
retirement plans. Provide day-to-day guidance on all aspects related to
employee benefits, including employee and dependent eligibility,
enrollment process, plan coverage and design, insurance premiums, and
annual contribution limits. Ensure that benefit programs are being
administered according to plan documents. Reconcile and interface with
university, PEO and health plan sponsor in regard to insurance invoice
- Respond to employee relations matters, conduct investigations as
directed, and participate in employee disciplinary meetings as
- Serve as liaison for the annual performance review process to include communication, guidance and monitoring annual collection.
- Counsel employees and departments regarding all details of
offboarding as it relates to insurance continuation and COBRA
eligibility, estimates of future insurance premiums, portability
options, retirement plan distribution options, and leave payout
guidelines. Conduct exit interviews.
- Update, maintain, audit and verify human resources data in human
capital management and PEO systems; including new hires, status changes,
and terminations. Respond to ongoing and ad hoc management information
reporting, and use cognitive reasoning to research, analyze, document
and resolve issues as needed. Collect, analyze, and review specific
requirements to adapt to observatory and university operations and
- Facilitate FMLA, LOA and Worker’s Compensation requests, as a
liaison in partnership with the Office of Research human resources
office. central HR, and PEOs as needed.
- Assist with compensation actions for eligible salary
adjustments/increases, special/temporary pay increases, and merit pay
within the Oasis PEO system.
- Work independently and exercise sound judgment.
- Formulate recommendations of process and procedure changes to increase effectiveness of HR functional areas.
- Organize employee engagement events and programs in partnership with the Observatory Director of Operations.
- Travel to main UCF Florida campus as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Jobs #: 498037
Open Date: August 16, 2019
Closing Date: Open until filled
Position Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's or Master's Degree and 2+ years of experience.
- Expertise in operational and strategic human resources,
international hiring, employee relations, compensation, training,
benefits and payroll administration, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and
- Bilingual with fluency in English and Spanish (both verbal and written).
- Experience in public sector and higher education is a plus.
- 6 years of human resource generalist experience, HRCI and/or SHRM
certification, and Bachelor's degree in human resources, public
administration, or a closely related field.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal law to include Puerto Rico law.
Special Instructions: n/a
Additional Application Material
Applicants MUST apply through www.ucf.edu/jobs
. No paper applications, resumes, cover
letters or emails will be accepted or considered for this faculty
position. Cover letters, resumes, and
other documents can be attached through the www.ucf.edu/jobs
assistance with the University of Central Florida’s Affirmative Action Plan
implementation is appreciated. The
University collects VOLUNTARY declarations of race and gender and uses the
information to compile statistics on recruitment success. If you choose to assist, your demographic
information will be used only for affirmative action.
University of Central Florida is an equal opportunity, equal access, and
affirmative action employer.
Family And Medical Leave Act Of 1993