Reporting to the COO, the General Manager provides leadership for the assigned geographic region. S/he will have P&L responsibility, manage the overall regional business, lead regional long-term planning, and contribute to overall business strategy.
- Achieve the regional P&L targets through effective overall regional leadership.
- Hold regional management team accountable for achievement of sales targets, KPIs, and other performance objectives.
- Utilize metrics to measure productivity, and to identify areas needing improvement.
- Build relationships and connect with the business across all functional areas to create a comprehensive regional strategy that identifies opportunities to improve operations, reduce cost, reduce injuries, and ensure employee engagement.
- Lead the development of the regional budget and expense management activities to ensure achievement of all targets.
- Create and foster a culture of safety within the region.
- Ensure that the regional management team holds the field accountable for all aspects of safety compliance in a timely manner, including safety training, application of safety protocol, proper PPE.
- Anticipate and understand customer requirements prior to the start of a new project.
- Attract, retain, and develop high-performing talent, provide leadership to the regional management team and individual employees.
- Provide timely performance feedback, training and coaching, and developmental opportunities.
- Responsible for employee-related decisions, including hiring, promotions, transfers, and terminations.
- Ensure that a succession plan is in place, and lead the development of career paths.
- Create a consistent and effective communication approach for the region and hold the regional management team accountable.
- Ensure that all employees are informed and aligned, turnover of high-performers is low, and individual employees receive regular performance feedback.
- Identify opportunities for improvement proactively, and hold regular one-on-one meetings with direct reports.
- Directly manage local and regional sales activities and support the National Account team.
- Support and provide input for sales and marketing initiatives.
- Build strong relationships with and influence existing and new customers in order to meet sales and margin objectives.
- Ensure timely and proactive communication, positive customer and vendor relations, and develop a strong pipeline of regional business.
- Together with the Senior Leadership Team, drive M&A activity for the region.
- Identify targets and help negotiate acquisitions.
- Lead post-acquisition integration efforts.
- Participate in, and present regional business results at quarterly BOD meetings.
- Demonstrate full knowledge of all aspects of business, and addresses complex questions in an accurate and concise manner.
- Engage and motivate a dispersed regional team, working across multiple states to drive operational excellence.
- Act as a change agent for the adoption of new business process improvement, and support initiatives in a positive and effective manner.
- All candidates must have exceptional leadership, talent development and process/technology skills as well as project management expertise.
- BA/BS required, MBA desired.
- 10 to 15 years of experience in hands-on positions in leadership roles, with at least five of those years as a senior leader, including multi-site responsibility (e.g., Director of Operations, VP Operations, etc.)
- Minimum 3-5 years of related HVAC/refrigeration experience is desired, but not required.
- Minimum 20 years total business experience with at least 5 years in a senior operations role.
- Expertise in refrigeration, HVAC, construction and service industries preferred.
- Experience in a small or middle market company environment preferred, particularly high growth.
- Experience working in a private equity-owned business preferred.
- M&A and post-acquisition integration experience.
- Prior oversight of distributed service and multiple shift operations.
- Union and non-union management experience
WHAT CANDIDATES SAY ABOUT THIS RECRUITER:
Very professional, flexible on my schedule, perfect follow up & spoke very professionally. Great over all service!
Larry, Sales Manager in the Chicago Area
Customer Relationship Management
Provide Actionable Feedback