Software Development Engineer – Unisys Cobol
The Software Development Engineer serves as a technical resource in the Conversions Engineering Department and plays a key role in developing and maintaining the tools and systems required to convert data from one core system/servicer to the core product solution.
In this role you will be responsible for researching, documenting programming and testing data conversion programs and tools to support the migration of the current data center to another data center location. The ability to research and understand the complex technical and architectural solutions that will be impacted by this migration is a key requirement for all contractor candidates.
As a Software Engineer you will have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of banking applications and sub-systems, where you can apply your existing knowledge to assess the current infrastructure environment and provide guidance and direction to the conversions teams, product developers and operations staff to communicate the changes required, impact of architecture changes and documentation of existing designs and risks of all changes from the status quo.
This is a contract position in a highly collaborative environment working with other skilled software professionals to deliver high quality data conversions with a seamless client experience.
Analyzes programs, WFLs, technical and business procedures to assist in the development of detailed specifications from which programs will be written, modified or redesigned. Develops, codes, tests, debugs, maintains, modifies, and installs computer software. Recommends minor to major changes in procedures and software development activities to support a large scale infrastructure redesign and migration.
Reports To: Manager Conversions
Peers: Software Development Engineer, Tech Lead
Direct Reports: None
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Lead in research and documentation of complex applications based upon direction from solution architects and technical leads
• Assist in the design and development of technical requirements and specifications
• Under limited direction, research, define, & complete required additions and changes to financial software products
• Under limited direction, analyze technical specifications for both the creation of new or enhancing existing applications for compatibility with other systems
• Participate in strategic planning sessions and technical discussions and demonstrate the ability to assist in translating ideas into technical designs
• Interact with internal stakeholders and SMEs for the purpose of data gathering, assisting with design, and ensuring development of solutions that meet or exceed expectations
• Performs other related duties as required
The above statements are intended only to describe the general nature of the job and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of position responsibilities.
• A completed Bachelor’s Degree in IT, or an Associate’s degree in Computer Programming, or equivalent education in a related discipline is preferred.
Job Related Experience:
• Minimum 5+ years of programming and analysis experience required
• COBOL programming in a Unisys environment is required. Experience with Unisys A-Series platform preferred.
• A successful candidate will have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, be able to function with minimal direction and oversight, and a motivation to achieve best-in-class results
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, to document existing systems, define required changes and share those requirements to onshore and offshore staff.
• Data conversion experience is preferred
• Knowledge of Core Banking products; or financial servicer systems and sub-system dependencies
• Additional programming languages such as, VB6, VB.net/C#, Access and MS SQL Server experience is a strong plus
• A superior knowledge of how to document program design, coding, and maintenance.
• A strong understanding of how multi-tiered infrastructure works together and challenges it presents
• A strong knowledge of the relationship between software and hardware interaction and the security requirements employed in both hardware and software layers.
• The ability to interact with others for the purpose of data gathering and design initiation.
• Security requirements, tools and trends; especially PCI requirements
• Strong leadership skills
• Primary language is COBOL and WFL; However, experience with .NET, VB, MS SQL and Access is a plus.
• Efficient with Microsoft® Word & Excel
• Financial industry interest and experience is beneficial
- Banking Services
- Program Design Languages