The primary responsibility of a Cook is to quickly and efficiently prepare food for the customers using First Watch recipes and meeting set guidelines for food preparation. The Cook position can and often does involve responsibilities in various stations to include Plate, Middle, and Egg and Salad Stations. Accurately and efficiently cook eggs, meats, seafood, vegetables, soups and other hot and cold food products to include portioning food products prior to cooking. Also perform other duties including plating and garnishing of cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all “finished" plates. Cooks are also responsible for the cleanliness of their work station(s). Other duties may be assigned as need arises.
What’s in it for you?
The opportunity to work in a fun atmosphere with awesome people while being a part of a growing organization that was voted BEST PLACES TO WORK (2018 Business Intelligence Group). We LOVE our employees more than bacon and have a “You First” philosophy, referring to the importance of putting people first.
We also offer:
No night shifts – EVER!
Amazing growth opportunities
Insurance benefits and employee perk programs
Tuition reimbursement and continuing education programs
Matching 401K contributions
First class training
And much more...
- At the start of each shift check that the daily prep list is complete and sufficient prep product is on hand to meet or exceed forecasted customer counts
- Inform the General Manager or Manager on Duty immediately of prep shortages
- Use standard recipe card for preparing all products
- Portion food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications
- Stock and maintain sufficient levels of food products at line stations
- Prepare item for broiling, grilling, sautéing or other cooking methods
- The Cook assumes 100% responsibility for quality and presentation of products served
- Communicate with service staff verbally in an effective and efficient manner
- Use and understand POS ticket system
- Understand and execute standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work area including tables, shelves, walls, grills, salamander, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment
- Washes dishes as necessary
- Promptly reports equipment and food quality problems to the General Manager
- Follow proper plate portion, presentation and garnish set for all dishes
- Handle, store and rotates all products properly
- Close kitchen properly and follow the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assist others in closing the kitchen as needed
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the General Manager of Manager on Duty
- Show flexibility in terms of your schedule to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the cafe as directed by the café management
- Maintain a high level of personal cleanliness
- Be a team player; help out fellow employees at every opportunity
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in kitchen preparation and cooking
- At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity
- Have working knowledge of the predominant language(s) of our customers
- Punctuality and regular and reliable attendance
- Honesty and integrity
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to effectively communicate with, management and coworkers
- Basic math and reading and writing skills
- Multi-task oriented – ability to perform multiple job functions at one time
- Follow workplace safety procedures
- Walk and stand throughout the entire shift
- Continuously reach, bend, lift, carry, stoop, twist and turn
- Regularly lift up to 50 lbs.
- Be able to work in hot, wet, humid and loud environment for long period of time
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals
- Understand basic food measurements
- Must report to work in a neat, clean uniform and present a well-groomed, hygienic appearance
- First Watch will supply employee with non-slip shoes, to be maintained by employee. If the shoes
become unusually soiled or damaged, employee must notify management for replacement. First
Watch will replace safety shoes as needed due to normal wear and tear
The Cook works with all levels of management and staff within the cafe. Additionally, positive
professional contact with customers is required to provide an exceptional quest experience.
Outline Of Food Preparation