The position is responsible for the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, lease schedules & payments as well as general ledger accounting. The selected candidate will serve as a team leader in the accounting department ensuring the department creates accurate and timely financial statements for the company, while honoring the approach to business that starts with our commitment to safety, operational excellence, and customer service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Although additional duties and related tasks may be assigned, the essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Obtains information from internal and external sources to record accounting transactions in the sub-ledgers and general ledger for all business services to ensure systematic maintenance of the company’s accounting records within Great Plains.
- Oversees accounts payable transactions, ensuring proper coding and approvals for invoices.
- Oversees prepaid schedules and recurring AP batches.
- Oversees employee credit card expense reports and charges for proper GL coding and approval.
- Records monthly journal entries to account for amortization of prepaids, and month-end accruals for operations expenses.
- Records monthly journal entries to account for spare parts inventory movements.
- Maintains lease schedules for all vehicles & the primary contact for all fixed asset additions & disposal information.
- Assists with reconciling the bank accounts in Great Plains and preparing accounts reconciliations for specific balance sheet accounts.
- Assists with fixed assets and inventory verification.
- Supports management in preparing schedules and roll forwards for monthly close activities.
- Provides support to operations managers and assists other accountants as requested by management.
- Assists with the implementation of company initiatives.
- Provides training for new hires and guidance to staff accountants.
- Ad hoc reporting and projects as determined by management.
- Supervise 1-2 accounts payable specialists.
- Develop procedures to improve efficiency and maintain company accounting procedures and processes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, competency, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Minimum 6 years of general ledger accounting experience.
- Great Plains experience preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly motivated and team-oriented individual.
- Detail-oriented and strong analytical skills.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office products.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Flexible to work overtime during peak periods.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles