Suburban Community Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute care hospital, and
a member of the Prime Healthcare Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity. For
over 65 years, Suburban Community Hospital has been delivering quality
healthcare to Montgomery County and the surrounding region.Suburban Community Hospital, originally named Riverview Hospital, opened
in 1944. Chartered at 740 Sandy Street in Norristown, PA, Riverview Osteopathic
Hospital would provide medical and surgical services to the sick, afflicted and
injured, and would educate persons in the care and nursing.
Our HistoryIn the mid-1940s and 1950s, the community grew and Riverview Hospital's
occupancy rate increased considerably. In 1958, ground was broken for an
expansion wing, that would provide additional patient rooms, a new dining room,
an expanded emergency room, and a new elevator. By 1962, Riverview Hospital was
operating as an 80-bed hospital with a professional staff of 47 physicians,
while becoming a member of the Hospital Association of Pennsylvania.
In early 1970, the ground breaking was held for the East Norriton site.
As the steel skeleton framework began to rise, a new name for the hospital was
discussed. Sentiment for the old revered Riverview was on the minds of many,
while a new hospital, new location and new name was also on their minds. After
much discussion and debate, the name Suburban General Hospital was chosen. In
1972, the construction was completed and the ribbon-cutting was conducted.
Suburban General Hospital opened its doors as a 153-bed, acute care, teaching
For more than twenty five years, Suburban General Hospital provided the
community with quality health care and services right in their own
neighborhood. In 1981, the Suburban General Healthcare System was established.
During the ensuing years multiple entities were established under the parent corporation.
Then, in 1997, with the oversight and approval of the Professional Staff
and Board of Directors, Suburban General Healthcare System signed a Memorandum
of Understanding with Mercy Health System. In January 1999, a Blessing and
Dedication ceremony was celebrated by His Eminence Anthony Cardinal Bevilacqua,
and Suburban General Hospital became Mercy Suburban Hospital and part of Mercy
Health System of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
In order to grow its capabilities even further, in February 2016 the
hospital was acquired by Prime Healthcare, a nationally renowned health system
consisting of more than 40 hospitals in 14 states, and dozens of affiliated
groups and care facilities. As part of that transition, the hospital changed
its name to Suburban Community Hospital to reflect its dedication to the
community that it’s been part of for more than 70 years.
The hospital is extremely proud to have trained hundreds of physicians
throughout the years, many of whom continue to practice in the community and
are on staff at Suburban Community Hospital.
In 2004, in response to community growth and development the hospital
added a new, "green" addition to house a new 30-treatment room
Emergency Department, Laboratory and Surgical Services Suite. Additionally, new
equipment and technology was purchased. In the last several years, many areas
in the hospital have been modernized.
As Suburban Community Hospital continues to expand the East Norriton
location to meet the needs of the community, it is with great pride that we
reflect on our beginnings on Sandy Street. With the modern technology and new
facilities, patients can be assured that the quality, compassionate care that
characterized Riverview Osteopathic Hospital and Suburban General Hospital
still embodies Suburban Community Hospital today.
Mission & Values
compassionate, quality care to patients and better healthcare to communities.
We are committed to
always providing exceptional care and performance.
patient-centered healthcare with compassion, dignity and respect for every
patient and their family.
We are honored to be
trusted partners who serve, give back and grow with our communities.
We are a uniquely
physician-founded and physician-led organization that allows doctors and
clinicians to direct healthcare at every level
Contact Info :
Address:: 2701 Dekalb Pike, East Norriton, PA 19401