The History of Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
The concept of establishing a medical school at Ohio University goes back almost to the inception of the institution in the early 19th Century. On August 21, 1823, the Board of Trustees passed a resolution forming a committee to “take into consideration the expediency of establishing a Medical School.” The Trustees recommended that since, at that time, there was no medical school in Ohio, one might appropriately be located in Athens.
Accordingly, the Trustees set aside a large tract of land west of the College Green for this proposed venture into medical education. The site is today commemorated by a plaque about 250 yards from Grosvenor Hall, which became the first medical school building more than a century later in 1975. Thus, delayed for 152 years, Ohio University’s medical school finally opened its doors to their first 24 students. Now celebrating our 40th anniversary with 611 students across three campuses our mission is still to educate physicians committed to practice in Ohio with an emphasis on primary care that can impact cutting edge research along with serving the needs of our communities.
Care Leads Here
ContactAthens, Ohio 45701