Sample cover letter for software engineers
Use this cover letter example when applying for entry-level software engineer jobs. All you'll need to do is copy and paste your information, such as programming languages and address it to the hiring manager.
Software engineers aren’t necessarily known for their prolific writing skills, so it’s OK to keep your cover letter brief. As long as your extensive, up-to-date programing knowledge and familiarity with one or more core programing languages are included, you’re good to go.
Use this sample of a winning cover letter for a software engineer position:
1. Determine who is hiring and address your letter directly to them. Make sure to use an accurate job title.
2. Highlight any of your applicable technical expertise, even if you don't have prior experience as a software engineer.
3. Emphasize soft skills like problem solving and attention to detail that are particularly relevant to a career in technology.
4. Determine which programming languages or software and hardware solutions are most relevant to the company that you're applying to, and mention your training or experience with these in your cover letter.
5. Proofread your cover letter thoroughly.
After you've finished, you'll need to upload your resume. You'll be able to quickly apply to Software Engineer jobs and companies can find you by searching the database. Use this example for an updated resume: software engineering resume example.
January 1, 2018
Pioneer Software Solutions
123 Main Street
City, ST 12345
Dear Mr. Smith:
I am submitting my application for the entry-level software engineer position at Pioneer Software Solutions. I am a recent graduate of the BSSE program at State University, having completed courses in software quality testing, network security, bioinformatics, information security, and database management systems with a 3.8 GPA. I have a strong aptitude for troubleshooting and developing quick and innovative solutions to tech-based issues.
During my last two years at State University I worked on the campus's technology help desk providing phone support for a variety of technical issues that ranged from maintaining the school's secure network to properly installing essential software programs. My ability to explain complex technology in easily understandable terms would make me an ideal addition to the Pioneer Software team, as I can act as an efficient communicator between the software engineering team and other departments such as sales and marketing.
I am fluent in the primary languages utilized at Pioneer Software Solutions, including Lisp and Python. I have eagerly followed the latest program releases from the Pioneer line and am eagerly anticipating the pending release of Data Pro 2.0. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your needs and how I might best fill them.
Additional information for Software Engineers: