Companies hiring this week (September 7), plus what the jobs report means for you
Every week, CareerBuilder shares real-time hiring data to provide insight into the current employment landscape.
CareerBuilder job insights
Find a job near you and in companies and industries that are hiring right now.
The coronavirus pandemic is far from over, including its impact on employment. Keep up to date with who’s hiring each week, and make sure your resume is uploaded to the CareerBuilder job board to get in front of thousands of employers.
- The unemployment rate fell to 8.4 percent (down from 10.2 percent last month, but still well above pre-COVID numbers).
- We’re continuing to see disparity across demographic groups when it comes to rehiring. White workers are the only group with unemployment lower than the national unemployment, at 7.3 percent. The rate for Hispanic workers is a full 3.2 percentage points higher (10.5 percent), Asian workers are sitting at 10.7 percent unemployment, and Black workers are experiencing almost double the unemployment rate, at 13 percent, as that of white workers.
- There is a much wider gap in unemployment across race than gender, with the jobless rate for men at 8 percent and the rate for women at 8.4 percent.
- In August, 24.3 percent of employed workers did so remotely, down from 26.4 percent in July.
- And while the number of unemployed people fell to 13.6 million, there were about 24 million workers in August who either didn’t work at all or worked fewer hours because their employer lost business or closed due to COVID-19.
- Part-time workers accounted for about a quarter of the employment gain last month.
Wondering which jobs are changing the most? Here are the roles that are growing, as well as where we are seeing declines, across all job sites.
Who’s hiring? The top 10 employers include:
What jobs are available? Top roles include:
What industries have jobs?
The top five include professional, technical and scientific services; transportation and warehousing; manufacturing; accommodation and food services; and finance and insurance.