5 long-lasting technology careers for the future
Looking for a career with some job security? Consider these tech jobs.
Given the employment outlook for tech jobs, it's hard to come up with a reason not to pursue a technology career. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), workers in high-tech industries earn higher wages than those working in other industries. Plus, the BLS also projected that computer and information technology occupations will grow by 12 percent from 2018-2028.
Clearly, the tech industry is the place to be for job-seekers. Below, we've compiled a list of the five best careers in this burgeoning field:
1. Applications software developers design consumer applications, either for a specific customer or commercial software to be sold to the general public.*
- Projected 2018-2028 Growth**: 26 percent
- Median Hourly Earnings: $48.49
2. Information security analysts plan and carry out security measures to protect an organization’s computer networks and systems. Their responsibilities are continually expanding as the number of cyberattacks increases.
- Projected 2018-2028 Growth: 24 percent
- Median Hourly Earnings: $45.92
3. Computer and information research scientists invent and design new approaches to computing technology and find innovative uses for existing technology. They study and solve complex problems in computing for business, science, medicine, and other fields.
- Projected 2018-2028 Growth: 18 percent
- Median Hourly Earnings: $55.04
4. Web developers design and create websites. They are responsible for the look of the site as well as the site’s technical aspects, such as its performance and capacity, which are measures of a website’s speed and how much traffic the site can handle.
- Projected 2018-2028 Growth: 15 percent
- Median Hourly Earnings: $28.08
5. Computer user support specialists provide help and advice to computer users and organizations. These specialists either support computer networks or they provide technical assistance directly to computer users.
- Projected 2018-2028 Growth: 12 percent
- Median Hourly Earnings: $24.16
The tech industry has demonstrated unrelenting growth and optimistic job outlooks for many years, and shows no sign of slowing. For job-seekers looking for careers that are both on the rise and here to stay, technology positions can offer the best of both worlds.
*Occupation descriptions from the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook.
**Job growth projections and median hourly earnings data from Emsi.