Create a Job Alert.Simplify your job search. Get emails of the newest jobs posted and be the first to apply.
37 funny quotes for work to help brighten your day
CareerBuilder | July 27, 2022
If you want to lighten the mood at your workplace, consider sharing funny quotes for work with your colleagues and co-workers to help everyone enjoy their day.
No matter where you work or what you do for a job, adding a little humor to the workday can make it more enjoyable. One way to do this is to read and share funny quotes with your colleagues. The quotes you share must be relatable to the job, not offensive, and not about sensitive topics like religion or politics. With these points in mind, discover some funny quotes for work you can share to lighten the mood and improve your day and that of your co-workers.
What are funny quotes for work?
Funny quotes for work are things famous or successful people say about work life that make you laugh. Sometimes funny quotes become things people say, and their origin is hard to pinpoint. Perhaps these individuals remain anonymous intentionally to avoid the wrath of their boss, but regardless, funny quotes related to work can help improve your day. If you share the quotes you find funny, you can also make your co-workers laugh, allowing them to enjoy work more.
Funny quotes for management roles
Some funny quotes you decide to share may only be relatable or funny to those in upper-level or management positions. If you want to share a funny quote with your management team, consider one of these options:
- "People are still willing to do an honest day's work. The problem is they want a week's pay for it." — Joey Adams
- "Executive ability is deciding quickly and getting someone else to do the work." — Earl Nightingale
- "Co-workers are like Christmas lights. They hang together, half of them don't work, and the other half aren't so bright." — Anonymous
- "No man goes before his time–unless the boss leaves early." — Groucho Marx
- "The only place success comes before work is the dictionary." — Vince Lombardi
- "Have you ever had one of those days when you're holding a stick and everyone looks like a pinata?" — Anonymous
- "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." — Thomas Edison
- "By working faithfully for eight hours a day, you may eventually get to be boss and work 12 hours a day." — Robert Frost
- "Some people have no idea what they're doing, and a lot of them are really good at it." — George Carlin
- "The secret of a long life is double careers. One to about age 60, then another for the next 30 years." — David Ogilvy
- "I hold a little fundraiser every day. It's called going to work." — Stephen Colbert
- "I've been promoted to middle management. I never thought I'd sink so low." — Tim Gould
Funny quotes for entry-level roles
Whether you're in an entry-level role or you want to lighten the mood for your team, these funny quotes can be great to share with the newest employees at your workplace:
- "Interviewer: So tell me about yourself.
Interviewee: I'd rather not. I kinda want this job." — Anonymous
- "Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance?" — Edgar Bergen
- "My idea of a perfect weekend is one that lasts until next Friday." — Anonymous
- "Procrastination isn't the problem. It's the solution. So procrastinate now, don't put it off." — Ellen DeGeneres
- "Do not underestimate your abilities. That is your boss's job." — Anonymous
- "I always try to go the extra mile at work, but my boss always finds me and brings me back." — Anonymous
- "Nothing makes me more productive than the last minute." — Anonymous
- Doing nothing is harder than it looks. It's impossible to take breaks." — Anonymous
- "Thursday, or, as I like to call it, day four of the hostage situation." — Anonymous
- "Personally, I have nothing against work, particularly when performed quietly and unobtrusively by someone else." — Barbara Ehrenreich
- "I'm sorry. I was listening until, out of nowhere, I became distracted by this loud annoying noise that turned out to be your voice." — Anonymous
- "I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work." — Anonymous
Funny quotes for all roles
Some quotes are relatable to anyone with a job. Enjoy the following funny quotes for work that you can share with anyone for a laugh:
- "When someone asks you where you see yourself in five years .... Buddy, I'm just trying to make it to Friday." — Anonymous
- "The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest." — Anonymous
- "If you had to identify in one word the reason why the human race has not achieved and will never achieve its full potential, that word would be 'meetings.'" — Dave Barry
- "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment." — Robert Benchley
- "You don't have to be crazy to work here. We'll train you." — Anonymous
- "I always arrive late to the office, but I make up for it by leaving early." — Charles Lamb
- "Hard work is when someone pays you to do something you'd rather not be doing." — George Carlin
- "Why do they call it rush hour when no one moves?" — Robin Williams
- "A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him." — David Brinkley
- "Whoever says nothing surprises them should try working in our office." — Anonymous
- "I don't always tolerate stupid people, but when I do, I'm probably at work." — Anonymous
- "I actively avoid office politics by hating everyone equally." — Anonymous
- "If hard work were such a wonderful thing, surely the rich would have kept it all to themselves." — Lane Kirkland
Tips for sharing funny quotes with colleagues
When you share funny quotes with your colleagues, you want to keep some points in mind. Consider these tips to help you do it right:
- Consider the audience: Before you decide to share a quote with co-workers, think about their position, sense of humor, and how long you've worked with them. These aspects can all affect the type of quote you may want to share.
- Keep it light: Some quotes might seem funny to you, but they could be offensive or not funny to someone else. Try to share quotes that can be funny to anyone, regardless of their background or beliefs.
- Avoid sensitive topics: Certain topics, like religion or politics, can offend those you don't know well or whose opinions differ from yours. Avoid sharing work-related quotes that involve these topics or other sensitive subject matter.
- Think about the timing: Humor is essential in the workplace, but there are times when it may be inappropriate. Share humorous quotes at the appropriate time so that it's not distracting and doesn't take away from productivity.
- Use relatable quotes: If you work in an office, some funny quotes will be more relatable than quotes that relate to those who work in a trade. Keep this point in mind when sharing funny quotes to ensure your colleagues see the humor in them and that they have the intended outcome of making everyone's day the best it can be.
Make your day and the day of everyone you work with better by sharing funny quotes that are relatable and bring a smile to their faces. If you're interested in finding a job where humor is appreciated, create a profile on CareerBuilder to help employers find you. Let them know you value a workplace culture that encourages humor.
Related reading: humor and workplace culture
Do you have a "work spouse"? Find out which TV couple defines your "work spouse" relationship.
Humorous work-related quotes are one thing, but learn why you shouldn't incorporate humor into your resume.
Keep office Halloween costumes tasteful and humorous with some helpful tips.