Create a Job Alert.Simplify your job search. Get emails of the newest jobs posted and be the first to apply.
12 tips to be courteous to your co-workers
CareerBuilder | March 14, 2016
There are many unspoken rules in the workplace. (that you should already know)
If you've ever had a roommate or a sibling you've had to share a living space with, you may have learned the hard way not to push the boundaries of common courtesy too far. Similarly, there are many unspoken rules in the workplace as well — so pay attention and exercise civility to the people you have to spend most of your waking hours with.
Here are 12 tips to be courteous to your co-workers that you should, hopefully, already know.
1. Close the door if you're having a meeting or if you're on a conference call.
3. If you eat snacks out of the communal "snack bar" at work or drink coffee out of a shared Keurig, replenish it every once in a while.
5. Avoid bringing in smelly or pungent foods to eat at your desk. That doesn't mean you can't bring in your leftovers — but if they're especially stinky, grab your lunch and head outside where the fresh air will take care of any lingering smells.
8. It goes without saying to steer clear of discussions about politics or religion at a family gathering in the workplace, but use your common sense when it comes to other controversial topics as well.
10. For the love of everything holy, do not hit "Reply All" if it's unnecessary — for example, if a promotion is announced, forward your congratulations to the individual instead of starting a group chain that will make everyone hate you.
11. B/O is the worst, but wearing overly strong perfumes is a close second. Workplace settings are usually very confined spaces, so the same goes for applying nail polish or anything else where the fragrance would be overwhelming.
Tweet at @CareerBuilder: What's your biggest pet peeve that drives you nuts in the workplace?
What kind of work can you do?
Search Jobs Support Center for more ideas.
Advice on dealing with your co-workers:
- 10 gifs that perfectly sum up how we all secretly feel about extroverted co-workers
- Office romance more common than you think
- How to dress up for Halloween at the office
- The why and how of making friends at work
- GIFs: 20 work lessons we’ve learned from ‘Friends’
Research salaries for any job and location with CareerBuilder's Salary Tool