Projects Engineer – Food or Liquid Processing
San Pedro, California
Big Heart Pet Brands is a producer, distributor and marketer of premium quality, branded pet products for the U.S. retail market, generating approximately $2.0 billion in net sales in fiscal 2013. Our brands include Meow Mix®, Kibbles 'n Bits®, Milk-Bone®, 9Lives®, Natural Balance®, Pup-Peroni®, Gravy Train®, Nature’s Recipe®, Canine Carry Outs®, Milo’s Kitchen®, and other brand names. Big Heart Pet Brands also produces and distributes private label pet products.
Big Heart Pet Brands currently has opportunities for Project Engineers – Food or Liquid Processing to be located out of our San Pedro, CA facility on Terminal Island in the greater Long Beach, CA area!
The Projects Engineer is responsible to independently conduct research projects leading to the commercialization of new cat and dog food products through the development / creation of new processes, or process modifications resulting in a financial impact up to a $1,000,000/year.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Will oversee new product scale-ups production line start-ups as well as troubleshooting for various Company installations
- Performs the planning, designing and execution of projects by carrying out design of experiments to determine key factors (e.g., fractional factorials) and optimization (e.g., response surface methodology), as well as process and fluid modeling (e.g., computational flow dynamics) as prescribed by the project
- Determine and maintain a business understanding on project cost, capital investment and timeline during the development of the project
- Responsible for communicating results to internal management by means of product development status, scale-up results, and cost / timeline impact
- Demonstrate excellent project planning skills through independently plan and the coordination of all aspects of his/her projects
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Chemical, Manufacturing or Food Engineering preferred)
- Have a minimum of 3 years of project engineering experience within food or liquid processing and production industry
Willing and able to travel up to 40% of the time to various Company installations or suppliers
Other aspects of this position which are required of an incumbent:
- Must be able to travel by plane
- Must be able to work in a factory environment dealing with equipment and raw ingredients
- Must be capable of travel for extended periods
- The incumbent will be working at times in a factory setting and must be able to handle the work required during testing including maneuvering around equipment
- Ability to generate clear written communication, comprehend written and verbal instructions, maintain and record written records, possess mathematical dexterity, and utilize a computer in everyday work is required