1. Do you enjoy giving hope, discovery and self-empowerment to people who truly need it?
2. Are you the type of person who desires to put others' interests and needs before yours?
3. Are you willing to make every effort to make a lasting change in the lives of people who are
told by our society that they cannot live a normal life?
4. Do you want to be in the front lines to be the one to make a difference and change that view?
If so, you may be just the person we need.
Bethesda Lutheran Communities is currently looking for Direct Support Professionals to provide care for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Above all, we are looking for a candidate who is looking to be committed to our mission and to exemplify our company's core values.
Bethesda's Mission is "To enhance the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities through services that share the good news of Jesus Christ." We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a Direct Support Professional (DSP), you will be responsible for training and assisting the individuals we serve and support them in various aspects of activities of daily living, while ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements and agency policies and procedures. This position is also responsible for the health, safety, and emotional support of the individuals we support.
General Job Duties:
-Provides supports to people served by assisting in the development and implementation of all Support Plans, including spiritual life supports, assisting people in achieving their personal goals and desires, providing interaction and choices for activities that support a meaningful day, and supporting people to be independent in activities of daily living.
-Unique duties to this job: As a Direct Support Professional, you will be bathing/showering the people we support; you will also assist in toiletting and changing the person. This position involves exposure to all bodily fluids including saliva, urine, feces, vomit, and blood. Before applying, please consider whether or not you will feel comfortable with such duties, as they will be a regular part of your job.
- Assists with information gathering for Personal Outcome Measures, and other assessments.
- Assists people with maintaining a clean, safe, and orderly home by following safety and infection control procedures; educates people about maintaining homes.
- Maintains and expands skills and knowledge relevant to providing high quality support and services. Obtains and maintains all required certifications and trainings and applies the information to support people served.
- Maintains open communication and cooperative work effort with Lead DSP and other staff to assure quality and continuity of support to people served.
- Supports the Bethesda Mission, Vision, and Core Values while empowering each person to direct their own life choices.
- Documents routine and unusual events including completing daily logs, incident reports, outcome data sheets, etc. in a concise, understandable, and legible manner.
- Assists people with fiscal management while safeguarding their funds. This may include completing ledgers, reconciling accounts and assisting people with spending choices; ·
- Ensures that people exercise their rights and that rights are not restricted without due process, ensures people are treated with dignity and respect.
- Performs other duties as assigned.This position actively supports people to choose and achieve the highest quality of life.