Are you looking for a workplace in a small firm where you won't get lost? Do you have a background in real estate, property, and litigation? Would you enjoy a beautiful workplace with excellent benefits, have a NM License and 3 years experience? We have a client who needs you! This is a permanent position that starts immediately.
Our Basic Expectations:
(1) High Quality Legal Work - Thorough, efficient legal research and analysis, as well as clear legal writing. "Take ownership" of the matters on which you work. Exercise independent, critical thinking and provide work product that you believe is ready to go directly to clients and courts.
(2) Meet Deadlines. Meet the realistic and real deadlines provided. If you do not think you can meet your deadline, let us know as soon as possible. If you are unsure about a deadline, it is incumbent upon you to clarify.
(3) Hours. We expect you to bill minimum of 1600 hours per year. While it is acceptable to bill more than 130 hours some months and fewer than 130 hours other months, your total must be at least 1600 at the end of the year. If you have an authorized absence, such as for maternity leave or an extended illness, we expect you to bill 130 hours per month for the months you are working. You should also strive to keep your realization rate above 90%. If you are having difficulty finding enough work to bill at least 130 hours per month, or your realization rate falls below 90%, you should see your mentor immediately. Your success in meeting these minimum requirements (1600 billable hours and 90% realization rate) will be one of the biggest factors taken into account when you are being considered for election as a director. It is also considered by the Executive Committee when setting compensation.
(4) Come to work. Normal office hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Directors often need to talk to associates about projects or cases on very short notice, and it is much easier to do that if you are in the office. We understand that there may be times when you need to work from home -- to care for a sick child, for example, or to wait for the plumber to fix the dishwasher. We also recognize that you may have commitments (e.g., dropping off children at daycare) that will require you to come to work a little later than 8:30; We will make reasonable efforts to accommodate you in those instances. But those instances should be the exception, however, not the rule.
(5) Uphold our reputation. Maintain our reputation for quality legal work. Always be prepared when you go to court and always deal professionally with clients, court personnel, opposing counsel, their clients and everyone else with whom you may interact.
What we hope to offer you:
(1) Work. You will be provided with enough work to meet your billable hour requirement. As you gain more experience, you will be expected to take on a larger role in getting business, both from old clients and new ones you bring to the firm. Because of the nature of the business, the same amount of work from week to week cannot be guaranteed. Some weeks will be busier than others. You provided with meaningful work that challenges you.
(2) Training and Mentorship. We will endeavor to take you to our proceedings and sometimes accompany you to your proceedings. We will critique your written work and give you honest feedback. You will be given more responsibility as you progress.
(3) Collegiality. You will be expected to work together to solve problems and share ideas; you should feel free to ask for help anytime.
(4) Feedback. You will be provided with honest and constructive feedback about the quality of your work. If you do not live up to our expectations, you can expect to hear about it. Likewise, if you feel we are not living up to your expectations, you should talk with us without reservation.
· 2 weeks vacation after 1 year of employment
· All Federal Holidays plus the day after Thanksgiving
· Single insurance provided, family coverage available with employee contribution
· Well appointed office in a downtown professional building. Parking is provided in an onsite covered parking structure.