Recent Cath Lab exp. required
Unit Name: Cardiac Cath Lab
Primary Specialty: Cardiac Cath Lab
Education Requirements: RN
1. Model KUMC core values of caring, commitment, integrity and teamwork to internal and external (i.e. patient, family, physician and team members) customers.
2. Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care or arrange for the provision of appropriate care, for newborn, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and/or geriatric population of patients, as pertinent to the scope of the office setting.
3. Perform telephone triage. Obtains clinically appropriate data and symptoms from the patient to advise and instruct patient according to established protocols and/or orders from the physician.
4. Perform clinical functions to include but not limited to:
• Medication administration, including injections/immunizations;
• Administration of intravenous fluids under the direction of the physician;
• Completion of CLIA approved waived laboratory tests and practice-specific diagnostic testing; if applicable.
• Vital signs and patient assessment prior to physician visit;
• Nurse visits under the supervision of the physician;
• Observes, records and reports patients condition and reaction to the physician following procedures, medication administration or treatments;
• Assists providers during procedures and examination and performs instrument and room clean up in accordance with OSHA standards.
5. Utilize standard precautions and complies with OSHA/CLIA regulations in completing job assignments. Educate other staff regarding these regulations.
6. May assist with patient inquiries for prescription refill and scheduling appointments for patient referrals and obtaining authorizations. Notifies patient as directed by the provider.
7. Provide patient education as specific to the patient’s needs, including but not limited to disease process, medication use and contraindications, collection of samples and follow up needs.
8. Responsible for monitoring inventory and maintaining approved stock medications, narcotics and emergency medications/equipment specific to the practice setting.
9. Serves in a leadership role within the clinical environment and as clinical resource for the office manager and other nonclinical stuff.
Participate in quality assurance programs, attend safety and staff meetings and in-services. Aid in maintaining stock supply items, inventory management, restocking exam rooms, emergency equipment, etc. Complete lab requisitions and prepare specimens for pick-up. Assist provider with appropriate administrative tasks. Assist with referrals, including obtaining authorization. Venipuncture. Performs other duties as assigned.
Work consistently requires walking, standing, sitting, lilting, reaching, bending, stooping, pushing, and pulling. Must be able to lift and support the weight of 50 pounds in handling patients, medical equipment, and supplies. Possible exposure to communicable diseases. Must speak, read and write basic English fluently. Intact senses of sight, hearing, smell and touch. Manual finger dexterity. Critical thinking and ability to concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in patient and/or unit conditions.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Registered Nurse in the state of Kansas
PATIENT POPULATION SERVED:
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and possesses the ability to respond to age specific issues and data reflective of the patient’s status. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care for the following age groups:
PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION:
Will limit access to protected health information (PHI) to the information reasonably necessary to do the job. Will share information only on a need to know basis for work purposes. Access to verbal, written and electronic PHI for this job has been determined based on job level and job responsibility within the organization. Computerized access to PHI for this job has been determined as described above and is controlled via user ID and password.
MACHINES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Those required by the practice. Includes blood pressure manometer, stethoscope, thermometer, personal protective equipment. wheelchairs, and related clinical equipment. Also includes standard office equipment.