We expect you to arrive at Goddard each day fully prepared and in your classroom ready to teach at the scheduled time. We expect you to support Goddard’s program and policies as well as state licensing policies. We expect you to do your job, which includes, but is not limited to:
Establishing and maintaining a safe, healthy, and nurturing learning environment by
- Designing an appropriate room arrangement to support the goals and developmental level of the children in your classroom;
- Making sure that the equipment in the classroom is in good repair;
- Understanding and implementing, when necessary, Goddard’s emergency procedures;
- Promoting healthy eating practices at lunch and snack time;
- Understanding children are never to be left unattended;
- Understanding that although spills are to be cleaned up immediately, major cleaning should not be done while the children are present;
- Posting schedules that meet the children’s need for routine and learning;
- Posting and adhering to Goddard hand washing and diaper changing policies.
Advancing physical and intellectual competence by
- Adapting program activities to meet the individual needs of the children;
- Creating a multi-cultural environment;
- Making available a variety of developmentally appropriate materials;
- Interacting with the children to support play, exploration, and learning;
- Encouraging children to talk among themselves and with the teachers;
- Presenting expectations that are appropriate to the child’s age and developmental level;
- Creating a print-rich environment in which children learn about books, literature and writing;
- Encouraging creativity through art, music, dramatic play, and blocks;
- Providing a balance between teacher-directed and child-directed activities;
- Providing for active and quiet play.
Supporting social and emotional development and providing positive guidance by
- Understanding and adhering to Goddard’s discipline policies;
- Planning and implementing activities that develop self-esteem and social skills;
- Planning and implementing activities that enable a child to feel secure;
- Encouraging, through positive modeling, feelings of empathy and respect for others and the environment;
- Understanding that cultural and ethnic differences are to be respected.
Establishing positive and productive relationships with families by
- Communicating appropriately and professionally with parents and fellow staff;
- Encouraging families to be part of the child’s learning experience;
- Providing opportunities for conferences and other venues in which parents are made to feel a part of the child’s learning experience.
Ensuring a well run, purposeful program responsive to participant needs by
- Assessing supplies and materials needed prior to implementing activities;
- Building teamwork;
- Developing lesson plans;
- Managing your classroom according to Goddard standards;
- Observing the children;
- Using assessment tools.
Maintaining a commitment to professionalism by
- Promoting Goddard philosophy and educational objectives;
- Supporting a code of ethical conduct;
- Committing to continuing education;
- Attending staff meetings and conferences.
Lead Teachers are responsible for ensuring compliance with Goddard's industry-leading Quality Assurance standards. Most importantly, they create a positive learning environment in their classroom where children develop a lifelong love of learning!
Lead Teacher Qualifications
§ CDA, Associates or BA in Early Childhood Education or related field
§ Prior classroom experience (Infant, Toddler, Preschool, Pre-K, Kindergarten)
§ Demonstrated knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices
§ Strong written and communication skills
§ Early Education and Care Certification
We offer outstanding opportunities and benefits including:
§ Competitive salary
§ Up to 3 weeks paid vacation
§ Paid holidays
§ Closed the week of Christmas
§ Continuing ECE education support
§ Bonus opportunities
§ Ability to earn two additional weeks paid vacation
The Goddard School offers competitive compensation and benefits based on experience, education and certifications. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.