Senior IT Applications Lead/Technical Lead
Ross Stores, Inc. is an S&P 500, Fortune 500 and Nasdaq 100 (Nasdaq: ROST) company headquartered in Dublin, California, with fiscal 2011 revenues of $8.6 billion. The Company operates Ross Dress for Less® ("Ross"), the largest off-price apparel and home fashion chain in the United States with 1,072 locations in 33 states, the District of Columbia and Guam. Ross offers first-quality, in-season, name brand and designer apparel, accessories, footwear and home fashions for the entire family at everyday savings of 20% to 60% off department and specialty store regular prices.
The Company also operates 108 dd's DISCOUNTS® in eight states that feature a more moderately-priced assortment of first-quality, in-season, name brand apparel, accessories, footwear and home fashions for the entire family at everyday savings of 20% to 70% off moderate department and discount store regular prices..
Additional information is available at:
The IT Project Lead is responsible for leading projects that apply new or existing technologies and solutions to solve business needs. Works with the IT and business management teams to define overall technical direction. Partners with the business to determine system needs, influencing and guiding the change process from concept to implementation. Coordinates the efforts of internal and external staff, and of key business partners in the support of existing production systems and in the execution of new system projects. Serves as a functional and/or technical expert in one or more disciplines.
• Leading the activities of providing new capabilities and driving value from existing capabilities.
• Managing projects throughout the entire systems development lifecycle, ensuring that requirements are defined accurately, systems are designed/coded or purchased that meet the defined requirements and that execute efficiently. Creating detailed project plans, coordinates team resources and manages to overall project time line. Ensuring that test plans and training plans are designed and executed successfully, all required system and user documentation is created accurately, projects are completed on time and under budget and anticipated business benefits are achieved.
• Supporting existing production systems, coordinating related support and enhancement activities. Defining and prioritizing problems and requests. Ensure proper testing and business change management practices and procedures are followed. Ensuring all support activities are executed on time and on budget.
• Takes a leadership role in analyzing the use of new and existing technology to meet current and future business needs. Investigates new tools, applications, and technologies and determines how these can be used to solve business problems. Understands business trends and the need for competitive advantage.
• Recommends, designs, and oversees development of application solutions. Works with senior members of the IT organization to create and enforce architectural standards. Ensures the architectural integrity within the enterprise. Technical resource across multiple platforms and systems.
• Provides technical training to programmers and programmer analysts on the use of new technologies. Provides working prototypes and development environments for other programmers to experiment with. Works with other leads on large projects, either as a lead or a team member. Expected to perform business design and analysis, internal consulting, application testing, and application design reviews.
• Organizational Understanding
• Customer Service
• Leadership and Teamwork
• Planning and Organization
• Communications and Influence
• Technical Competence / Expertise
• Analysis and Judgment
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS
Required Skills and Qualifications
• At least 5 to 10 years experience supporting retail systems or IT consulting experience supporting retail. Solid understanding of retail dynamics within a complex, highly integrated environment.
• Experience working for a national retailer with multiple stores or consulting firm.
• Experience implementing and/or supporting packaged solutions.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience in information systems, computer science, or a related technical discipline.
• Technical orientation balanced by project management discipline. Able to supervise internal programmers, analysts, consultants, non-technical business resources and external vendor resources.
• Demonstrated track record managing technical application projects.
• Experience in risk identification and management
• A solid understanding of industry best practices in retail; specific demonstrated experience mapping business processes and comparing those processes to industry best practices
• Strong analytical, problem solving, and debugging skills.
• Demonstrated ability to execute basic financial analysis, such as ROI.
• Ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
• Some travel may be required
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
• At least 5 years POS & Authorization experience.
• Working experience with Cognos, JDA applications suite, Microstrategy, Retek application suite, PeopleSoft application suite, Oracle, Manugistics , AJB, ACI and the Epicore application suite.
• Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Project and Visio
• Experience with (Sun Solaris) UNIX and Windows operating systems
• Experience with relational databases - specifically Oracle, SQL Server and Non-STOP SQL
• Experience with computer languages such as C, Visual Basic, PL-SQL and JAVA
• Data Warehousing experience
• QA testing experience
• Demonstrated ability to manage staff remotely, across multiple time zones
• Some Management Consulting experience
• Graduate degree
• Motivated by the desire to make a difference in the business, to work with a highly talented set of peers, and to work on interesting projects
• Outstanding work ethic; displays a high sense of urgency to resolve issues quickly and efficiently
• A high sense of responsibility - to our customers, our business partners, our colleagues, and to the quality and timeliness of one’s own work; a willingness to “do what it takes” to support our company’s systems - sometimes during non-standard work hours
• Ability to collaborate with Business Users
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; outstanding listening skills
• Able to articulate issues, build consensus around recommendations, and define next steps
• Professional presence
• Displays business and organizational maturity
• Team oriented, yet able to work independently; very self-motivated
• Multi-tasking and prioritization skills
• Customer focused
• A continual desire and capability to learn
• Highly organized and detail oriented
• Natural leader
• Supports management in the recruitment, retention, and career development of internal staff
• Managing, mentoring, and leading internal and external staff as defined in project structures