CATHOLIC HEALTH INITIATIVES
HEALTH CONNECT AT HOME
Title: Speech Language Pathologist
Reports To: Director, Home Care & Hospice
The speech–language pathologist is responsible for implementation of standards of care for speech language pathology services and the supervision of Speech Language Pathologist Assistants.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
1. Conducts appropriate evaluations, assesses home environment (as appropriate), identifies equipment needs relative to speech/language function.
2. Identifies functional speech defects and establishes a plan of care to improve patient’s function.
3. Administers speech therapy program utilizing specialized therapeutic technique and/or equipment.
4. Recommends communication devices/aids as indicated.
5. Confers with referring physician and other organization personnel to ensure coordinated and comprehensive care contributes to the total plan of care.
6. As appropriate, participates in case conferences, in-services and other meetings required ensuring coordinated and comprehensive care.
7. Prepares and submits notes per organization policy.
8. Maintains clinical competency in speech language pathology practice and theory.
9. Identifies patient and family/caregiver needs for other services and refers as appropriate.
10. Instructs patient, family/caregiver and other health care personnel in the patient’s treatment regime as indicated.
11. May supervise home health aide and Speech Language Pathologist Assistant in procedures directly related to the speech–language therapy plan of care.
12. Performs other duties as required to facilitate the delivery of speech language
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.