Responsible to set up and operate various types of respiratory care equipment to be utilized in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiopulmonary diseases as ordered by physicians. As a member of the patient focused care team, the respiratory therapist works collaboratively with the other members to assure the safe and accurate delivery of care. In addition, the respiratory therapist performs a range of technical procedures related to cardiopulmonary hemodynamics to comprehensively serve patient needs. Assumes, under the direction of the Laboratory, responsibility for patient specimen testing, quality control, quality improvement, and equipment maintenance.
Shift: This is a PRN/As-needed position. Nights shifts are primarily needed.
1. Patient Care:
- Able to assess patient appropriately, interpret results accurately, and suggest alternative treatment.
- Able to appropriately change modes of therapy.
- Must be able to prioritize work assignments.
- Must be able to work independently, demonstrating respect for patient's rights and confidentiality.
- Able to communicate effectively with physicians, patients, and co-workers.
- Documents by exception and communicates to physicians and nurses all pertinent information.
- Involves patient and significant others in the care activities as a means of informing and teaching.
- Actively assists the physicians in the clinical management of patients.
- Administers medications according to hospital policy.
- Effectively and efficiently receives/interprets telephone and verbal orders and documents appropriately.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use necessary patient equipment.
- Demonstrates ability to react calmly and effectively in an emergency situation.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards. Staff/Unit Responsibilities:
- Delegates appropriately to staff in keeping with job descriptions, licenses requirements and standards of practice.
- Uses resources in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Participates in peer review.
- Participates in developing other staff and affiliating students.
- Maintains and develops own professional competencies.
- Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
- Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
- Actively participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization Review programs.
- Assumes a role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
- Assists staff in the coordination of unit operations.
- Assists in all aspects of care if the environment, such as dietary, housekeeping, infection control, and supply and equipment management.
- Attends 80% of in-services and departmental meetings.
- Help provide staff to other areas of the hospital when needed.