Utilize structural engineering fundamentals to design integrated drilling systems and fit-for-purpose products to support drilling functions. This is a lead or senior level engineering position responsible for engineering practices to support the structural engineering department on both project and compliance related matters.ESSENTIAL DUTIES & TIME ALLOCATION
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Primary job functions for this position may include the following items:
Learn and develop skills and knowledge
- Develop hands-on experience and field exposure through assigned tasks.
- Develop discipline specific technical knowledge through assigned tasks, training and continuing education.
- Learn and utilize Parker Drilling's processes and procedures.
Create and review engineering and design documentation)
- Create discipline specific engineering and design document(s) for Technical Service Requests (TSR's) and projects.
- Review and comment on engineering and design document(s) for Technical Service Requests (TSR's) and projects.
- Support project controls related to engineering.
Manage others to ensure successful delivery of scope related items, and provide mentorship and coaching to support rapid employee development.
- Provide mentorship and coaching to support rapid employee development
- Manage internal engineers and support staff to ensure timely delivery of project documents.
- Manage external engineers and support staff including subcontractors and consultants to ensure timely delivery of project documents.
- Manage vendors and fabricators to ensure delivery of equipment, structures and/or rigs.
- Provide coaching by passing on skills, knowledge, and relevant work experiences.
Communication is an essential component of the Lead/Senior Structural Engineer job function.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Interface with other Parker Drilling business units.
- Interface with existing and new customers and vendors.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual should be proficient at the following general and technical skills:
- Strong PC skills including Microsoft Office Suite, analytical software (Mathcad, SAFI, SolidWorks Simulation), computer-aided design software (AutoCAD, Inventor, etc.).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time.
- Problem solving using systematic approach to define inputs, outputs, assumptions, issues, acceptance criteria, methodology, and conclusions.
- Must have good written and verbal technical communication skills including writing reports, emails, and presentations at various organizational levels (peers, internal clients, and external clients).
- Coordinates technical issues with other departments on projects, including constructability requirements/considerations and reviews.
- Familiar with engineering deliverables such as datasheets, material specifications, material requisitions, scope of work, and data registers.
- Knowledge on technical decision making methodology, including evaluating alternative solutions.
The individual should have proficient structural engineering knowledge related to the following items:
- Relevant codes and standards including but not limited to AISC Steel Construction Manual, 9th Edition, AWS D1.1, ASCE 7-10 and API-4F.
- Analysis and design of steel structures and their components including determinate and indeterminate trusses, beams and frames; deflection based criteria.
- Local and global modes of failure for structural members and systems
- Experience designing structural systems including decks, substructures, masts/derricks and/or equipment foundations based on AISC 9th Edition and the latest API specifications.
- Knowledge of the various structural material grades utilized in arctic and temperate climates including fasteners.
- Knowledge of the various welding techniques, procedures and materials and how they relate to the fabrication of drilling structures.
- Experience in structural designs subjected to seismic loads, transport loads, vessel motion loads and/or other dynamic forces.
- Working knowledge of soil mechanics and their relation to bearing pressure.
- Experience evaluating field installations and providing modification guidance to improve functionality.
- Knowledge of structural designs related to drilling rigs and how various designs interface with other disciplines.
The individual should have proficient drilling knowledge related to the following items:
- Drilling equipment, structures, skidding systems, well control, and process/utility systems.
- Drilling operations and rig crew functions.
- Code requirements pertaining to the design, construction, safety, and operation of both land and offshore drilling rigs including but not limited to AISC, AWS, API, ASME, ASCE, etc.
Additionally, it is preferred if the individual displays knowledge on the following topics:
- Working knowledge of project management tools including cost estimations, contracts, and scheduling.
- Working knowledge of project management concepts related to project initiation, project planning, project execution, project monitoring and controlling, and project closing.
- Management and leadership concepts including leading people, driving results, leading change, business acumen, and building coalitions.
- Discipline specific fabrication and manufacturing design, processes, and testing (i.e., welding, machining, etc.).
- Construction, fabrication and manufacturing concepts related to drilling rigs.
- Knowledge and experience with rig and equipment testing and commissioning including systems integrated testing (SIT) and integrated acceptance testing (IAT).
Engineers at this position should display and embody the following work values.
- Willingness to learn and passion for continued improvement through embracement of new assignments and challenges.
- Hands-on and field activities/exposure
- Exposure to projects ranging in size from small to large.
- Organized and efficient execution of assigned deliverables through timely and correct decision making for self and for the group or business unit.
- Schedule familiarization relative to deadlines and associated impacts.
- Team coordination within the engineering group, internal clients, and external clients.
- Total rig concept development to meet client needs.
- Encouragement of team members and engineering group with mentorship and guidance to individual performers
- Conflict resolution related to designs through technical coordination.
- Holistic and Interdisciplinary approach to solving problems.
- Assign at any moment for project lead.
- Improvement through creativity, innovation, optimization, and efficiency.
- Accepting company values including integrity, honesty, and ethics.
An individual must have the following qualifications to perform this job successfully.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering from an accredited university is required.
- Being a licensed Professional Engineer is preferred.
- Previous work experience with a drilling contractor or other related company with direct contact to the drilling industry is required.
- The ability to read, write, and speak English is required. Fluency in a foreign language is considered a benefit for this position.