1. Requires a baccalaureate degree in Medical Technology, Clinical Laboratory Science or Physical Science.
2. Post graduate degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or in management is preferable.
1. Requires a minimum of five (5) years experience as a Medical Technologist, at least two (2) years of supervisory experience, or comparable professional experience in a laboratory management setting.
1. Requires proof of registration as a Medical Technologist by American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ACSP) or as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist by the National Certifying Agency (NCA).
1. Requires experience with operating laboratory equipment.
2. Routinely works with the laboratory information system and personal computer software programs to include word processing and spreadsheet and other hospital information systems.
3. Requires knowledge of the principles of Medical Technology and related techniques.
4. Analytical, decision-making, organizational and personnel management skills required.
5. Requires ability to prioritize, organize, perform multiple tasks simultaneously and evaluate own work and that of others. Requires ability to quickly anticipate and adapt to changing or emergency situations, sudden changes in personnel or instrument function; must be able to determine proper procedures or methods and evaluate results and make decisions based on data.
E. WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Walks and sits intermittently
2. Reaches, lifts, carries, stoops, moves light equipment and Laboratory materials
3. Finger dexterity and motor coordination necessary
4. Works in well ventilated, air-conditioned, clean, pleasant surroundings
5. Subject to odor of examined specimens and special chemicals
6. Subject to some hazards from possible infectious agents and sharps, chemical exposure
7. Must have good hand-eye coordination
1. Must be able to deal calmly with others in stressful situations; have the ability to explain technical information to patients and other hospital personnel in an understandable manner; must exhibit a cordial and helpful attitude to all clients by voice tone, mannerisms and message content; must assist in the in the accommodation of client requests.
2. Must be able to achieve and maintain a high degree of accuracy; must be aware of errors caused by improperly functioning equipment and instruments.
3. Must be alert to potential problems concerning personnel and laboratory planning; must be able to make decisions; must be able to coordinate the economical and effective use of time, space and personnel in the various sections; must be able to maintain an impartial, clear, reasoning ability in time of stress concerning staff, physicians, Administration and other hospital related personnel.
G. Must also successfully complete the pre-employment/post job offer health screening examination, and the annual screening each year thereafter as an employee.