Duke Energy is a diversified energy company with a portfolio of natural gas and electric businesses, both regulated and non-regulated, and an affiliated real estate company. Duke Energy supplies, delivers and processes energy for customers in North America and selected international markets. For more information about our business please visit us on the web at www.duke-energy.com.
This position may be located in Lake Wales, Florida or Sebring, Florida or Lake Buena Vista (Orlando), Florida.
This is the second level of the Engineering Technologist classification. Associate Engineering Technologists provide technical expertise to solve more complex problems and leadership skills to provide oversight and direction of work in a specific area of expertise, with some supervision. Incumbents are expected to develop advanced skills and the ability to work with greater independence.
Job Responsibilites Include:
- Practices a “Safety First” attitude incorporating company safety rules and policies in all aspects of daily work.
- Meet with customers in the field to determine power requirements and design necessary distribution power facilities to satisfy customer needs within negotiated timeframes. Analyze customer blueprints/provided information to determine project power requirements. Coordinate closely with customer to insure all obligations are met prior to construction. Communicate via written and verbal means to keep internal and external customers informed of project status.
- Be the single point of customer contact for rural residential, commercial, subdivision, private area light and overhead or underground type projects. Prepare estimates and work requests for single customer private area lighting and commercial lighting installations. Take responsibility and ownership of customer facing projects from inception to completion: initial customer notification to meter set.
- Manage multiple projects and customers simultaneously to assure timely, successful completion of projects resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction and company/departmental/individual goal achievement. Coordinate projects for construction across multiple internal departments to accomplish timely construction and meet customer needs within a negotiated timeframe.
- Perform field investigation and design for non-customer facing work including but not limited to pad-mounted transformer, underground cable, and pole replacement projects.
- Learn, incorporate and practice company safety, design and governing authority standards into daily work and designs.
- Daily use of company design platforms (WMIS and G-Net Viewer) to prepare and input work order packages, specify labor and materials required to build projects, create construction prints, and develop customer invoicing. Develop cost estimates for options to provide power to customers.
- Develop and incorporate private property, easement and road right of way knowledge into daily work and designs. Work with land agent staff to secure easements from customers.
- Consult closely with crew members and crew management to fully understand operational nature of area distribution power system, construction requirements and materials used in order to satisfy customer requirements.
- Be available for and perform major and minor storm restoration duties including extended working hours, field work and/or specific storm assignments. Be understanding of the rural nature of the area and obligations thereof being a sole Duke Energy contact in the area.
- Work independently and is self-starting performing tasks indicative of the job. Works well in a remote setting without direct supervision.
- This position is located in a rural setting thus comfort in dealing with rural and agricultural customers on a daily basis is required.
- Must be customer focused.
With Some Supervision:
- Provides technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems in area of expertise
- Ensures accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities.
- Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches.
- Conducts engineering and related studies
- Strives to continually improve job-related, technical and professional knowledge, skills and performance.
- Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files.
- Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally
Depending upon the desired qualifications of the successful candidate, the hiring manager may elect to fill this position at a higher level within the job hierarchy.