Global reach. Local results.
Ports America is proud to be the largest terminal operator and stevedore in the United States, operating in more than 42 ports and 80 locations. We provide clients with a distinct competitive advantage, combining the flexibility of global connection with the efficiency of local expertise. We are dedicated to customer satisfaction, consistently delivering measurable results. And our commitment to safety in the workplace is second to none.
The Senior Software Engineer
is responsible for design, implementation and unit test of Ports America Web applications and their integration with Terminal Operating Systems. Primary responsibilities include participation in all phases of SDLC: from system analysis and architecture thru development and test to deployment and support.
1. Design and Development: (60%)
This position is responsible for designing and developing web applications for terminal operations. Analyze business requirements and existing code supporting the development of the product functional specifications working with business analysts and the customers. Design components of the software system by writing a Design Specification, description of interfaces, services, and business components, interaction between the components. Develop and unit test the framework and business components of a system and ensure seamless integration with other sub systems. Provide estimates for the development efforts based on high level requirements.
2. Product Support: (20%): On rotation bases provide 24X7 third level support of existing web applications for Ports America Terminal Operating Systems. Provide the support for the deployment process and work with the Release Management team.
3. Problem Resolution and Innovation (20%). Investigate, troubleshoot, reproduce production issues and provide resolution. Be proactive in seeking out technological trends and current technologies. Demonstrate abilities in learning and prototyping new technologies to recommend implementation in the development processes and practices.
Areas of Expertise:
- Task Ownership: Responsible for completion of tasks from inception to post implementation. Create Design specification based on business requirements. Develop and deploy enterprise web applications with minimal oversight. Be able to ensure that all tasks are completed correctly and in line with established development guidelines and business needs.
- Problem Resolution: Able to identify and resolve problems quickly and effectively determining root cause and long term solutions while minimizing impacts to the environment and end users. Ability to assist SQA team, Business Analysts, DBA and Operation group in problem resolution.
- Decision Making: Prioritizes assigned tasks and communicate timelines. Recommend changes those needed within the M21 TOS applications and other areas. Recommend methodologies and implementation methods based on best practices and business requirements.
- Leadership and Influence: Determine long term solutions for the web applications based on needs and constraints, and convey those solutions to end users and upper management. Ability to learn new technology trends and apply them to development process to improve and optimize it
- Skill Variety: Experience with designing and developing high quality, high volume distributed and scalable business web applications using Microsoft technologies. Be able to understand and interpret requirements and impacts and needs from initial request through final delivery. Strong understanding of web application development life cycle and experience in all phase of the SDLC. An understanding of Agile software development principals such as Scrum, Continuous Integration, and test-driven development. Programming skills in client-server/web technologies (e.g.: .NET, C#, Visual Basic, C++, XML, etc.). Experience in querying and extracting data from databases (Oracle).
- Task Significance: This role will play a large part the success of developing web applications for terminal operating system by completing the tasks on time, ensuring the quality of the code, and implementing business requirements to meet the needs.
- Contacts and Communication: Have regular communication with peer developers, QAs and Business Analysts of tasks, and progress and issues. Report the status and goals to director of software development, Lead developers, managers of other departments and stakeholders in web applications
Physical Work Conditions:
- Office environment
- Ability to travel up to 20%.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.