We are seeking a senior architect with significant professional experience, and who are recognized experts in the following area of datacenter technologies.
The Samsung SDS Research America Group provides thought leadership and direction on key areas of technology affecting SDS.
These areas include the datacenter and everything inside of it: servers, storage, networking hardware, power and cooling efficiency, energy recovery, and the software needed to use it all – everything from datacenter control systems up through virtualization software and cloud software layers (e.g. OpenStack). We also provide underlying architectural support for emerging development areas, e.g. big data and Internet of Things.
For each of these areas we propose, direct and participate in projects that are both inwardly-focused (importing these technologies in a way that benefits SDS) and outwardly-focused (e.g. contributing technologies developed or furthered within SDS into the open source community). Our mission is to stay on the leading edge of research in each of these areas, and to manage the adoption of these technologies by our large IT infrastructure. Requirements:
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in a related field, or equivalent experience
• Deep expertise in at least one area of concentration (outlined above), plus additional expertise in multiple other areas.
• Track record of contribution to an external community (academic, commercial or open source) in one or more areas of concentration
• Excellent writing skills; can create publication-worthy articles in English.
• Track record of creating IP, either proprietary or open source
• Strong record of delivering results with deep business impact
• Ability to work in communities, e.g. standards / industry groups / open source
• Passion for pushing technical boundaries, track record of advocacy and persuasion
• Subject matter expertise demonstrated by education, work experience, and/or publications Responsibilities:
To carry out this mission, we need senior architects who not only have a deep understanding of these core technologies, but who can also craft the correct strategy and architecture for consideration and potential implementation. This includes effectively explaining what these technologies can bring to SDS (including cost/benefit analyses), training engineers and others on how to use/deploy them, and helping to spearhead PoCs (Proofs of Concept) and initial implementations.
We expect our senior architects to exert significant external influence in their fields. This may take the form of participation in open source communities, writing articles and papers, and acting as advisors to other projects. We also expect senior architects to take on mentorship roles with our architects and other technical contributors within Samsung SDS.
Datacenter & hardware. Expert at the hardware inside a datacenter (servers, storage, and to a limited extent, networking), as well as a deep understanding of the power and cooling systems of the datacenter itself. Able to craft a sustainability plan for Samsung’s datacenters, including energy reuse, material minimization and repurposing, and climate impact. Can evaluate potential server and storage designs for suitability and TCO. Comfortable with detailed cost models, including CAPEX, OPEX and reliability.