Under the general supervision of the Engineering Manager, this Senior Engineer is responsible for leading electric actuator development projects, derivative platforms, major cost reduction projects and project leadership for cross-disciplinary development teams. This position must work closely with marketing department personnel responsible for associated actuator product lines. Occasional worldwide travel to other design sites, manufacturing & supplier locations, and customers as required.
This position has no direct reports. May be asked to provide guidance to other engineer support personnel - such as designers, drafters, technicians and clerks.The Senior Mechanical Engineer will report directly to the Engineering Manager.
- Lead significant actuator development projects according to Emerson NPD processes
- Drive innovation and practical actuator mechanical designs
- Convert marketing specification to complete technical definition
- Take projects from feasibility to production
- Monitor and evaluate test programs which verify/validate product performance
- Follow Valve Automation technical standards and development processes related to actuator technology
- Ensure design calculation prove compliance with technical standards and good engineering practice
- Maintain thorough project files
- Lead New Product Development Gate Reviews, as needed
- Ideate and execute significant design cost reduction projects
- Coordinate efforts to obtain necessary product approvals from outside agencies
- Analyze engineering problems and implement solutions.
- May perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Ten to Twenty years of mechanical product development
• Design experience with valve actuator, oilfield, rotating equipment or other electro-mechanical products.
• Ability to lead a multi-disciplinary product development team
• Demonstrated command of basic machine design skill
• Innovator, preferably with patents or patents pending as evidence
• Computer literate in MS Excel, Word and/or MathCAD software
• Knowledge of basic metal fabrication manufacturing processes – machining, welding, casting, and design-for-assembly considerations
• Experienced user of 3D CADD software, preferably Solid-Edge
• Excellent written and verbal English language skills, including presentation skills
• Professional engineering registration would be a plus
Additional Company Information EOE