EDUCATION & TRAINING:
High School Graduate or equivalent, completion of a recognized Clinical Assistant. Medical Assistant or EMT Training Program or Nursing Students who have completed Fundamentals of Nursing Course from an accredited school of nursing
External candidates One of the following is Required: Certification as a Nursing Assistant (C.N.A), Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), must be current and in good standing with state licensing board, or be enrolled in an accredited school of nursing with completion of Fundamentals of Nursing Course. LPN's may apply. Medical terminology and computer skills required.
Internal candidates: Same as External Applicants
Must have a minimum of 1 year work experience with the University of Louisville Hospital and completion of an onsite CA Fundamentals Class. All candidates must have the following: ability to read, interpret, and follow detailed oral, written and illustrated instructions; ability to write simple sentences to complete forms, chart patient data and detail medical instructions for subsequent care; and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, care givers, other employees and the general public.
LICENSE & CERTIFICATION:
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR Required
Performs clerical duties on the unit under the direction of the Licensed Nursing Personnel. Applies proper and professional communication skills between personnel within the department and to other departments in relationship to patient care. Presents a personable and professional attitude to physicians, patients, families, visitors, and co-workers. Provides clinical patient care support in a caring, safe, efficient manner, under the direction of an RN. Performs other functions including phlebotomy, EKG lead placement, and respiratory functions. This employee adheres to the values of patient and family centered care.
1. Transcribes and computes physician orders, department orders and messages accurately.
2. Writes legibly and transcribes orders accurately.
3. Presents a pleasant, courteous, effective manner with telephone conversations and interactions with others.
4. Assembles patient medical records and maintains proper order of records within the chart.
5. Orders stock; maintains and enters charged items at the end of the shift according to procedure.
6. Sets up admission charts and disassembles discharged and transferred charts, checking for completeness.
7. Handles desk communications properly and promptly, including responding immediately to intercom, pages and routing of messages to appropriate person.
8. Replaces forms as necessary in patient medical records.
9. Routes requests for patient information to nurse promptly and accurately.
10. Communicates physician orders to responsible nurse.
11. Collects required unit data.
12. Orients new personnel in desk orientation.
13. Performs other duties as assigned by Licensed Nursing Personnel.
14. Responds appropriately in lifesaving situations.
15. Measures and documents intake and output, heights and weights, and vital signs.
16. Applies, monitors, and documents restraint usage.
17. Collects urine, stool, and sputum specimens.
18. Performs and documents point-of-care testing.
19. Performs and documents patient mobility and exercise, and comfort, rest, and sleep care needs.
20. Performs and documents patient hygiene, grooming, and dressing, skin and nail care, dietary, and toileting and elimination needs.
21. Assists with admitting, physical examination, transferring, and discharging patients.
22. Transports patients, lab work, specimens, and blood.
23. Organizes equipment and supplies.
24. Completes bedmaking and cleaning assignments on the unit.
25. Performs and documents perineal care, and applies unsterile hot/cold packs/compresses, bandages, and elastic stockings.
26. Safely and correctly operates equipment (i.e. beds, wheelchairs, stretchers, hypo/hyperthermia unit, mechanical lifts, bed scales).
27. Receives oncoming and gives offgoing reports.
28. Adheres to Universal precaution, infection control, OSHA, and other regulatory policies and procedures. Maintains safe work practices and follows facility safety procedures.
29. Performs venipuncture for specimen collection under the direction of the RN/LPN. Appropriately labels and ensures delivery to the Clinical Laboratory.
30. Performs routine 12-lead electrocardiography testing under the direction of the RN/LPN.
31. Performs respiratory care equipment application and monitoring under the direction of the RN/LPN.
32. Performs other duties as assigned.