As a Senior Architect (Application Performance Management) and a member of PNC's highly lauded Information Technology Division, you will contribute significantly to PNC maintaining its high standards in innovative technology. Recognized by CIO magazine as one of the top 100 companies that demonstrate technology excellence, PNC is recruiting seasoned and talented candidates for this position who will design and implement system, application, infrastructure, and/or enterprise architecture and associated standards. You will also work closely with developers to ensure that all technology initiatives are implemented within the existing or planned framework for each project.
The APM (Application Performance Management) Center of Excellence Team is part of the Shared Infrastructure Services Group within the Corporate & Technology Services Organization, provides enterprise-level expertise for application performance management for the applications running on shared hosting platforms. This team drives the strategy and creation of shared application performance infrastructure services and practices to be leveraged by the enterprise. This group is responsible for delivery of innovative performance management solutions, end-to-end transaction monitoring and work with application and business accelerator (shared software and infrastructure) teams to instrument the services as required. Acting as performance management SME for the enterprise and providing services/solutions across the enterprise that enables businesses to achieve higher SLA by improving quality of software, reducing problem determination/down time and over all enhancing the end user experience.
The Senior Architect is a key position and will be responsible for driving implementation of performance management solutions and includes both Engineering and Delivery functions. This position brings you to the forefront of driving overall platform(s) implementation by encouraging you to bring commonalities across platforms and recommend solutions and designs that leverage PNC enterprise architecture best practices and industry standard re-usable common technologies and infrastructure, while also identifying ways to improve existing enterprise assets and business applications. Drawing upon your experience and expertise, you will analyze platform/application architectures in order to identify instrumentation points that will help drive the application software design and/or infrastructure design, and you will lead risk-management planning by identifying technical areas of risk due to uncertainty and skill and technology gaps.
This position can be located in either Columbus OH; Cleveland, OH; or Pittsburgh, PA.
This position will be accountable for:
- Leading APM (Dynatrace, DCRUM, Gomez, ITCAM, HPDiags) implementation team, advancing APM practice at the bank and specialize in the area of applying the practice to JEE (Webpshere, JBoss, Weblogic), Windows/IIS Web Hosting Platforms, Apache, IBM MQ, Mainframe, IBM WESB, IBM iLOG, IBM BPM, Oracle DB etc. Performance tuning of complex JEE and Windows/IIS applications and web hosting platforms. This individual will also be responsible for establishing best practices, methodologies and standards related to the performance management of applications at the bank. APM practice is used across the complete life-cycle spanning Development/QA/Prod/Business requirements phases.
- Implementing performance management practice which provides 360 degree view inside-out as well as outside-in of performance. Integration of application performance events with infrastructure events with event correlation and then integration with enterprise incident and configuration management tools.
- Work with business to establish business transactions of interest and develop executive dashboards required to monitor and manage performance at executive level
- Work with development and architecture teams to manage performance of critical applications through the lifecycle of the application. Working on continuous improvements of performance, providing technical guidance to development teams and triage production problems
- Providing technology direction and guidance to the engineering team.
- Resolving technology issues and help team(s) to make right implementation choices.
- Partnering with other technology groups to set and implement standards, develop and implement processes, and monitor both for consistency and performance.
- Through the use of internal service partners:
- Responsible for overseeing the development and provide technical guidance across multiple hosting platforms/product roadmaps
- Deliver new solutions to the enterprise
- Develop enhancements to servicing capabilities to reduce expense.
- Understanding PNC technology strategies and regularly engage with PNC technology teams.
- Have subject matter expertise in specific product areas or technologies and be viewed internally as a go to person.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in IT-related field or equivalent. Masters Degree preferred.
- 8+ years of application development experience, with 10+ years of architecture/design experience
- Full and complete technical knowledge of all platforms (Mainframe/legacy, e-business, distributed, client server, multiple database technologies) and processes.
- Must be able to quickly understand emerging technologies and business value in relationship to current environment. Responsibilities encompass technology for an entire LOB and will likely cross business units. Strong communication skills in order to effectively communicate with and make strategic recommendations to Sr. and Executive Management as well as all levels of internal/external service partners.
- Proven team building and relationship management are essential. Leverages available systems, project methodologies and other corporate resources to complete job.
Preferred technical skills include:
- Experience with one or more tools of APM suite (Dynatrace, DCRUM, Gomez) of stack or similar applications performance tools is strongly preferred.
- Experience with performance tuning large complex systems in order to apply that knowledge at a strategic level, influencing technology solutions that match the goals and objectives of each line of business within PNC
- Self-Starter, Highly Motivated, Passionate, Enthusiastic and œCAN-DO attitude
- Strong presentation and communications skills to effectively communicate with and make recommendations to management and internal and external service partners
- Exemplary relationship management skills, negotiation skills and convincing powers
- Experience with mentoring engineering teams, motivating and leading by example
- Extensive experience and knowledge in the areas of JEE/IIS technologies in the context of performance management and development experience.
- Experience in performance tuning one or more of these containers: WebSphere, Jboss, Weblogic, Apache, IIS/.NET.
- Experience with end-to-end transaction monitoring and performance management.
- Experience with performance tools like HP Diags, TLeaf, HP Load Runner, IBM ITCAM, IBM NetCool is preferred.