High School diploma required. Certified Coding Specialist through AHIMA or Certified Professional Coder through AAPC is required.
Formal training in ICD-9-CM and CPT coding or previous work experience utilizing ICD-9-CM and CPT coding principles is required. Minimum two years of input/output physician coding experience preferred. Must be able to work as a member of a team along with effective communication skills. Job Duties Include:
• Reviews and evaluates patient medical records to identify diagnoses and procedures and accurately assigns and sequences ICD-9-CM and/or CPT codes. Abstracts and validates information.
• Queries physicians when code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous or unclear for coding purposes.
• Keeps abreast of coding guidelines and reimbursement reporting requirements. Brings identified concerns to manager.
• Monitors, investigates and takes appropriate action for records that are not coded, billed or rejected.
• Maintains internal databases for monitoring of records not completed.
• Communicates documentation discrepancies, coding definitions, and questions to the medical staff and patient accounting for clarification in a professional and courteous manner.
• Verifies and corrects information in a timely manner and reports correction to the Central Billing Office.