Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc. (MEPPI) is a leading U.S. supplier of electrical and electronic equipment, systems and services to utilities and industrial customers in the U.S. and overseas.
MEPPI is currently recruiting for a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer to support their new Power Transformer Division (PTD) in Memphis. PTD is producing highly-engineered large power transformers.
Provide transformer mechanical engineering expertise in the transfer of design documents and technical knowledge from Ako to Memphis, and the establishment of a fully self-sufficient Engineering Department in Memphis. Lead and participate in specification reviews and design reviews. Work toward increasing transformer sales by ensuring overall product quality and reliability, and ensuring customer design requirements are satisfied.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Lead the transfer of mechanical design documents from Ako, and conversion to comprehensive purchasing and manufacturing information. Work with Engineering Manager and Electrical Principal Engineer in establishing a fully self-sufficient Memphis Design Engineering department.
• Lead effort to transfer the Mechanical Design Optimization program from Ako to the Memphis Engineering team. Develop designs and proposals using this program, ensuring that the proposed transformer design meets technical requirements for the application, and offers the optimum combination of operating efficiency and initial cost based on the customer’s evaluation criteria.
• Lead the development of complete transformer designs for local orders. Lead and coordinate efforts to create design review documents for internal and customer design reviews.
• Propose and execute product cost reduction initiatives.
• Work with Engineering Manager and Electrical Principal Engineer to develop and utilize a system that verifies the customer’s contractual technical requirements are met in the transformer design.
• Perform customer specification reviews, and produce a checklist identifying items requiring special attention in the proposal technical design preparation process.
• Lead pre- and post-award technical discussions and design review meetings. Follow up to ensure all action items are completed and commitments satisfied.
• Lead or participate in internal design reviews of new products or features. Make suggestions and provide supporting detail for new design development initiatives.
• Proactively assist in reviewing technical information associated with the procurement process for component parts and accessories, to ensure that procured items meet customer requirements and can be properly integrated into the transformer.
• Support purchasing efforts to locally source components and services by obtaining or developing necessary technical specifications. Participate in vendor qualification visits as necessary. Specify the required sample parts and qualification tests for critical items.
• Support local factory operations by answering questions and clarifying requirements in a timely manner.
• Support local factory and purchasing operations by participating in non-conforming item dispositions.
• Provide input on drafting standards, bill of material structure, part numbering system, and data management control.
• Assume a leadership role in addressing technical issues that arise in the installed base of transformers. Assist in communications between the factory and the customer regarding technical issues. Coordinate and support root-cause analysis activities. Ensure that technical issues are resolved and corrective actions are put in place to prevent recurrence.
• Develop presentation materials for transformer seminars. Support the Sales Manager in coordinating seminar events and deliver presentations during the events.
• Expertly present to customers the distinct technical advantages of MEPPI’s transformers in the customers’ specific applications.
• Further the goals and positive, professional image of the Power Transformer Division by conducting business with other MEPPI departments and outside contacts in a timely and cooperative manner.
• Understand and support MEPPI’s Quality, Environmental and Safety policies.
THE DESCRIPTION ABOVE REPRESENTS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE JOB BUT DOES NOT EXCLUDE OTHER OCCASIONAL WORK ASSIGNMENTS NOT MENTIONED.
THE NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
• Develop a leadership role in trade technical committee organizations for transformers, such as IEEE. Periodically create and present technical papers for such technical organizations.
• Support the Sales department in developing a competitive advantage in quotations.
• Support and make recommendations to improve MEPPI policies and procedures.
• Perform other functions as assigned.