The Hospice RN assists in the development and supervision of the Plan of Care for each of their patients; they visit their patients on a regular basis; perform physical assessments; monitor medications; work closely with the physician & other team members to manage pain and other symptoms; educate & provide compassionate support; help make every day count. Many nurses who have worked in other settings say that hospice allows them to spend quality time with their patients and families, develop caring relationships and enables them to utilize a great deal more of their professional training. Our RN's provide skilled and compassionate nursing care to hospice patients and families in their home or community and coordinates activities of home health care.
Major Job Functions:
- Provides skilled nursing patient care or service within the established plan of treatment and maintains quality assurance for records of patients assigned to him or her.
- Prepare written instructions to home health aides for patient care consistent with the Plan of Care and supervises the aides on a routine basis to accomplish the plan of treatment, which has been developed.
- Coordinates all services relative to providing skilled nursing care.
- Assesses patient physical, psychological, social, and environmental status; identifies problems, plans and implements the appropriate interventions and initiates the Plan of Care based on these findings.
- Reports pertinent observations and reactions regarding changes in patient status to the appropriate team person (i.e., physician, supervisor, occupational therapist, physical therapist, social worker, nutritionist, or family member), and provides follow-up to assure resolution of an identified problem.
- Records observations accurately and concisely and maintains patient’s medical record in accordance with SouthernCare policy.
- Evaluates patient’s responses to approved Plan of Care.
- Administers medications and performs treatments to assigned patients.
- Educates the patient/family regarding proper administration of drugs and biologicals and their side effects with documentation in the patient’s record.
- Counsels with patients/family members on the Dying Process and related issues.
- Participates in on-call rotation, including supervision of LPN’s, as assigned by Clinical Director.
- Performs admission procedures as assigned and generates Plan of Care per agency policy.
- Knowledgeable regarding Hospice Medicare, Hospice Medicaid, Medicaid Waiver, other payor source, and their implications for patient care.
- Takes part in appropriate and timely discharge planning for hospitalized patients with facility’s social worker.
- Graduate of an approved school of professional nursing. Currently licensed as a registered nurse in the State of Employment.
- Prior home health or Hospice experience or one (1) year of recent medical/surgical experience.
- Must be able to maintain patient confidentiality at all times and be able to abide by HIPAA rules and regulations
- Must be proficient with computers, and hand held technical devices such as Smart Phones
We are proud to be an EEO employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace.