As an Architect II (Netcool/OMNIbus/ITCAM) and a member of PNC's highly lauded Information Technology Division, you will contribute significantly to PNC maintaining its high standards in innovative technology. Recognized by CIO magazine as one of the top 100 companies that demonstrate technology excellence, PNC is recruiting seasoned and talented candidates for this position who will design and implement system, application, infrastructure, and/or enterprise architecture and associated standards. You will also work closely with developers to ensure that all technology initiatives are implemented within the existing or planned framework for each project.
The Application Performance Management (APM) Center of Excellence is part of the Corporate & Technology Services Organization and provides platforms and services for end-to-end application performance management (monitoring and tuning) for all enterprise web applications. APM practice has enterprise focus and participates in the lifecycle of software development through QA and Production. The goal is to improve end user experience (UEM) by providing 360 degree performance view of web applications. APM team works closely with business (to identify and define business transactions), development (to identify and fix development issues), QA (middleware and application performance tuning) and production support teams (debugging complex prod issues, creating application alerts). This team drives the strategy and creation of enterprise application performance management practices and platforms. This group is responsible for delivery of constant performance improvement by providing deeper visibility of complex application by providing innovative shared services/solutions across the enterprise that enables businesses to understand the customer better and also to enhance the customer experience by improving performance.
The Architect II of APM Center of Excellence is a key position and will be responsible for driving and implementation of Application performance engineering and delivery functions as applied to middle ware technologies like JEE and IIS/.NET platforms. This position is primarily focused on building synthetic monitoring capabilities for applications. The synthetic monitoring is also integrated with Real user traffic as well as with other downstream performance tools like dynaTrace, DCRUM, HP Diagnostics and upstream with enterprise event correlations tools and enterprise configuration/change/incident management platforms. This position also requires you to recommend solutions and designs that leverage PNC enterprise architecture best practices and industry standard application performance monitoring frameworks. Drawing upon your experience and expertise, you will analyze platform/application architecture and use cases and identify effective ways to design and implement œmonitors that will help drive the performance and stability of the application.
This position can be located in either Pittsburgh, PA; Cleveland, OH, or Columbus, OH.
This position will be accountable for:
- Architect and build application synthetic monitoring platforms using Netcool/ITCAM/Omnibus and Gomez.
- Leading the implementation of Synthetic monitoring practice on shared JEE and IIS/.NET platforms, specializing in the areas of Websphere, JBoss, WebLogic, Apache and IIS/.NET Web Hosting Platforms " Instrumenting and monitoring applications that run in Highly redundant environment with multiple distributed data centers and using many common reusable assets. This individual will also be responsible for establishing best practices, methodologies and standards related to Application performance management.
- Creating a 360 degree view of application performance by integrating synthetic and real user traffic and other technology stack specific tools.
- Establish best practices as part of center of excellence for end-to-end transaction monitoring that spans multiple physical, logical and technology areas. Analyze application architecture and use cases in order to identify application "monitors" that will help drive the application software stability and quality.
- Identifying technical areas of risk due to uncertainty and skill and technology gaps.
- Providing technology direction and guidance to the APM engineering team and also maintaining synergies with other tools and technology stacks.
- Resolving technology issues and help team(s) to make right implementation choices.
- During a production issue, acting as a SME and help the teams to quickly narrow down to the issue area and help teams to debug the issue.
- Partnering with other technology groups to set and implement standards, develop and implement processes, and monitor both for consistency.
- Through the use of internal service partners:
- Responsible for overseeing the instrumentation of applications and providing technical guidance to MIS teams
- Deliver new monitoring and debugging capabilities to the enterprise
- Develop enhancements to servicing capabilities to reduce expense.
- Understanding PNC technology strategies and regularly engage with PNC technology teams.
- Have subject matter expertise in specific product areas or technologies and be viewed internally as a go to person.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in IT-related field or equivalent (Master's Degree preferred)
- 4-5+ years of application development experience, with 5-7+ years of Architecture experience
- Extensive understanding of IT and experience with multiple large complex systems has ability to apply that knowledge at a strategic level influencing technology solutions that match LOB goals and objectives.
- Strong communication skills in order to effectively communicate with and make strategic recommendations to Sr. and Executive Management as well as all levels of internal/external service partners
- Diverse technical background with specialization in synthetic monitoring tools strongly preferred
- SME knowledge of synthetic monitoring tools like specifically with Netool/ITCAM/Omnibus is strongly preferred. Experience with other APM tools like Gomez, Dynatrace. DCRUM, HP Dias is a bonus.
- Strong knowledge in Unix (RHEL) environment and scripting skills. Networking knowledge is bonus.
- Experience with monitoring and managing performance of large complex distributed systems.
- Self-Starter, Highly Motivated, Passionate, Enthusiastic and œCAN-DO attitude
- Exemplary relationship management skills, negotiation skills and convincing powers
- Experience with mentoring engineering teams, motivating and leading by example
- Working knowledge of Middleware technologies such as Apache Web Servers, JEE, Messaging, LDAP, Siteminder, Web Services, B2B, Portal, ESB, Collaboration, and Integration servers is a bonus.
- Exposure to application development and software Architecture/Design is a bonus.