The Regional Senior Tax Analyst is responsible for gathering information and preparing federal, state and local tax returns for CHI and our local “Market Based Organizations” (“MBO’s”). This position serves as a primary local contact for tax issues raised by National staff and assigned MBOs. Will assist in other tax-related projects for the MBO and National staff including ASC 740-10 and tax research.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Independent preparation of all geographically assigned tax returns in compliance with laws and CHI policies and procedures. Assigned returns will primarily be Forms 990, 990-T and associated state income tax returns. Individual prepares sales and use and other tax and informational returns as requested. Responsible for coordinating with local MBO staff to gather information necessary to prepare the tax returns and track the status of tax returns and related notices, refunds, and fees after submission to Federal, State, and Local tax agencies.
2. Prepares tax extensions and estimated tax payments for review and approval from National staff.
3. Establishes processes to efficiently prepare tax returns including updating the tax organizers in accordance with changes made by the IRS and state and local taxing authorities.
4. Serves as primary tax contact at the assigned MBO and works to identify and propose resolutions to specific MBO tax issues for review by national. Those issues may include: payroll, sales and use, income (including UBI), property taxes and exempt status issues.
5. As required, performs research and analysis of routine tax questions, obtains national review of conclusions and appropriately documents advice given in accordance with Department Policies.
6. Attends tax-related training by means of web conferences, phone calls, emails, etc. and educates local MBO finance staff members on reporting requirements to assist with the information gathering process.
7. Assists in FAS 109 & ASC 740-10 computations for year-end audit.
8. Assists National tax supervisor, manager and director with the coordination of IRS and State Department of Revenue audits.
9. Assists National tax supervisor, manager and director in the development of tax policy for CHI and MBOs and performs other duties and special projects for the assigned MBO as requested from National staff.
Individual will be assigned to and located in a particular geographic region. Depending on the region to which the individual is assigned, regular travel may be required..