Product Category Manager
The Product Category Manager is responsible for all product line strategy, planning, pricing, marketing, sourcing and supply management, and for assigned product lines. Drawing support from analytic and technical expertise in the department and across the company, the Product Category Manager will drive merchandising strategies that maximize total contribution, while meeting key business objectives such as quality, availability, and security of supply. The position reports to the Director of Category Management and is located at the company’s headquarters in Dallas, TX.
• Strategy & Planning. Partner with business leadership and field operations to understand customer needs and develop near-term and long-term strategies for assigned categories. Lead periodic, cross-functional line reviews that set the product line pricing, marketing, sourcing, and supply management strategies that drive sales and overall contribution margins for each product category. Leverage sales trends, spend analytics, external market intelligence, and competitive information to enable fact-based decision making.
• Pricing and Marketing. Optimize pricing to maximize sales and contribution for each product line. Ensure that the right products are marketed at the right stores, at the right price, and in the right quantity. Manage promotions, advertising, product line changes, and other marketing initiatives. Collaborate with the Pricing team to manage POS system data and processes. Work with field operations and support functions to extend and/or rationalize product lines to meet and/or drive future customer demand.
• Negotiating & Contracting. Drive supplier negotiations to support category strategies and financial targets with OEM, and third party branded, and private label suppliers. Evaluate all sources of supply, including overseas and low cost country suppliers. Use market expertise and data analytics to achieve best cost of product and supply assurance. Develop comprehensive implementation and communications plans with field and distribution operations.
• Supplier Management. Optimize product offerings, quality, inventory, and security of supply by developing and managing supplier relationships. Ensure suppliers are performing to contracted service levels and meeting field expectations. When performance issues emerge, lead interactions with suppliers to ensure efficient resolution. Engage with suppliers regularly to drive innovation and remain current with industry trends and technologies.
• 8+ years merchandising experience with hard goods, including 3+ years of product line leadership experience
• Significant experience with professional category management including product line strategy reviews, planning, and product specification creation across a series of categories
• Expert-level financial, quantitative, and analytical skills; and experience with business and supplier performance reporting
• Experience integrating people and processes with systems including ERP and POS applications
• Possesses strong commercial acumen, negotiation skills, and track record for capturing value
• Expertise in product pricing and marketing; embraces fact?based decision making and naturally seeks to leverage sales data, spend analytics, and competitive intelligence
• Expertise in supplier management; able to engage with suppliers to drive current performance and future product line technology and innovation
• Demonstrated executive presence; comfortable and credible with both executive audiences and internal stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to influence others through both direct and indirect networks; a consensus builder and change agent
• Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills; comfortable and credible with both internal stakeholders and external audiences
• A flexible, dynamic, self-demanding and proactive individual; able to motivate him/herself and others; a natural bias for action and ability work effectively in a dynamic environment
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred
• Able to travel up to 20%