Position Title: ManufacturingGlobal Sourcing Manager, Commodities
Department: Corporate Brands Sourcing and Manufacturing Global Sourcing
Position Reports To: Category Sourcing Senior Leader
Position Supervises: N/A
Pay Level: 10 to 11
FLSA Status: Exempt
Profile last updated: March 11, 2014
Deliver sustainable competitive advantage to Kroger Manufacturing Operations through the strategic procurement of quality materials at competitive prices. Strategically manage down material costs through competitive bidding, negotiation, identification of alternative material sources and alternative materials, while improving levels of supplier quality and service. Understand risk management, commodity, value, domestic and global economics, supply chain networking, government policy/reports, technical attributes and the weather all come together in market volatility. Implement forward coverage positions with the objective of achieving minimum market exposure.
Lead the development and implementation of sourcing strategies for several sub-categories and key suppliers and assure that the sub-category is purchased in the most value-added manner. Support the procurement process and Department to effectively and efficiently manage the supply chain for Kroger Manufacturing.
Understand fundamental and technical analysis, and how to combine these tools to develop a market view. This individual should be able to cultivate supplier relationships to ensure Kroger receives pertinent market insights, and work with key suppliers to develop strategic partnerships and provide a competitive advantage to Kroger. Understand outside market factors (i.e. weather, macro-economics, geo-political conflict) to extrapolate what impact that will have on commodity markets and experience in the procurement of agricultural commodities; corn, sugar, wheat, soybean, etc. Use highly organized, highly analytical thought process to drive the best possible risk management decisions, to provide competitive advantage to Kroger. Role model and demonstrate the company’s core values of respect, honesty, integrity, diversity, inclusion and safety of others.
Essential Job Functions:
• Improve the value equation (price, quality and service) of material purchases by analyzing and conducting industry research, including market, supplier, cost and competitive analysis.
• Assess, mitigate and manage material supply risks to ensure “no stock outs.”
• Leverage aggregated Enterprise volumes and supplier relationships across businesses.
• Develop and execute comprehensive sourcing strategies for specified sub-categories.
• Manage and structure the Requests for Information (RFI) and Requests for Proposal (RFP) with potential suppliers and assess the results.
• Ensure business needs and technology capabilities are linked, established and maintained for all key relationships both inside and outside of the Company.
• Lead development of commercial agreements with suppliers by utilizing negotiation skills and competitive bidding tools.
• Forecast Latest Estimates and supply availability.
• Cultivate and govern suitable supplier relationships for each business situation. Support supplier diversity initiatives.
• Facilitate continual improvement of supplier operations through routine assessments and performance measurements.
• Provide input (business requirements, market knowledge, etc.) and coordinate resources to develop harmonized sourcing strategies and goals for the respective sub-categories.
• Negotiate contracts and lowest Total Cost of Ownership for sub-categories.
• Ensure material purchases are covered by a fully executed Supply Vendor Agreement/Contract (SVA).
• Develop strong understanding of market and price trends, monitor competitive factors. Provide perspective to Kroger Leadership.
• Lead, support, and coordinate the cross-discipline teams.
• Collaborate closely with CFT and CS&I to identify and align with their expectations.
• Use spend map analysis tom monitor spend at a regional/site level and ensure that all purchases follow the predefined Procurement process.
• Understand and optimize supply base with a goal of moving toward a few strategic suppliers.
• Develop, implement, communicate and support the corporate-wide sourcing strategy and infrastructure.
• Lead multiple sub-category teams to develop strategies and deliver to sourcing plans.
• Establish category priorities based on benefits opportunities.
• Establish performance management for sub-category and track performance metrics.
• Develop sourcing and procurement skills in the organization by using current and future technology and processes.
• Develop, implement, communicate and support the corporate-wide sourcing strategy.
• Act as a change agent in leading the implementation of new sourcing initiatives.
• Must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
Some of the Behavior/Skills required to successfully perform this position are:
• Puts the Customer 1st -- Anticipates customer needs, champion for the customer, acts with customers in mind, exceeds customer's expectations, gains customers' trust and respect
• Communicates effectively and candidly-- Communicates clearly and directly, approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides and seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens
• Achieves results through teamwork-- Is open to diverse ideas, works inclusively and collaboratively, holds self and others accountable, involves others to accomplish individual and team goals
• Leads through positive influence-- Demonstrates strong character, builds partnerships, models a conscious balance between work and personal life, takes personal responsibility for own development, role models leadership qualities such as: motivation, inspiration, passion and trust
• Coaches and develops others-- Develops and cares about associates, builds effective teams, helps people be their best, values and manages diversity, provides candid and constructive feedback
• Leads change and innovation-- Challenges the status quo, embraces technology, puts forward creative ideas, champions and implements process improvements, gathers ideas of others, demonstrates good judgment about which ideas will work
• Executes with excellence-- Is action-oriented, drives for results, sets clear expectations and milestones, reviews progress, acts decisively, solves problems, can be counted on to consistently meet or exceed goals
• Provides clear and strategic direction--Plans and organizes well, sets a clear and simple course of action, stays focused on the most important priorities, has the ability to visualize and plan for the future, understands the industry and marketplace
• Bachelor’s degree in food science, technical or business management or related fields.
o MBA desired
o CPM or CPSM desired
• Minimum 7-10 years procurement experience or similar buying experience with strong knowledge of supplier industry that is specific to the position.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate with all levels both within and outside the organization.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills. Process management or Quality Improvement Process skills are a plus.
• Strong negotiation skills. Must possess a high level of diplomacy and able to influence effectively.
• Excellent computer literacy skills: MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), Business Objects, and Gateway a plus.
• Excellent leadership qualities. Ability to manage in a team environment. Must be able to delegate responsibility, supervise people and empower the decision process. Must be assertive.
• Excellent attention to detail and must be able to take managed risks.
• Excellent planning and organizing skills and able to make decisions and implement changes.
• Strong knowledge of specific supplier industry.
• Broad comprehension for technical standards associated with the required raw material.
Desired Previous Job Experience
• Prior Procurement/Sourcing experience.
• Previously developed and executed buying strategies.
Potential Career Path from this position:
• Category Global Sourcing Sr. Leader, GSRCI eSourcing Sr. Leader