LyondellBasell's Houston Refinery, one of the largest refineries designed to process heavy, high-sulfur crude oil is in search of a Process Control Engineer. Our 268,000-barrel-per-day refinery is strategically located on the U.S. Gulf Coast with access to interstate pipelines and the Port of Houston. The facility covers approximately 700 acres at the city limits of Houston and Pasadena, Texas.
The Houston Refinery was one of the first petroleum refineries constructed on the Houston Ship Channel and traces its origin to 1918. This is a high visibility position and will provide ample opportunities for growth. You will work with a team of dedicated, highly-trained professionals. This is a direct-hire position with competitive base salary, bonus, 401K matching, generous benefits package and pension plan.
The Process Control Engineer has the primary responsibility for defining and maintaining the control strategies for the Asset Team, including both the DCS-based regulatory controls and the advanced process control applications.
Develop (in partnership with other Tech Assurance Engineers, Planning and Economics, Operations) and ensure the integrity of the unit’s control and optimization strategy, including:
- Defining DCS basic and advanced regulatory control strategies
- Conceiving, justifying, designing and developing advanced control applications
- Incorporating company standards, guidelines, and best practices for
controller design, implementation and support
Lead design review, model review, and limit review meetings for new controllers, including:
- Performing plant tests and analyzing plant test data
- Developing and implementing inferred property calculations
- Define APC controller economic optimization strategy (in consultation with planning group and process engineers)
- Drive management of change for control applications
- Write APC documentation and perform associated updates
- Provide material to Operations for inclusion in operating manuals
- Commission and train operators on newly implemented applications
- Perform audits of controller benefits
- Train process engineers on the functionality and characteristics of relevant APC applications
Support capital projects, expense projects, and turnarounds in assigned Asset Area by:
- Contributing to the identification and definition of the scope of work
- Leading the development of new control strategies and validating the feasibility of those defined by others
- Performing the process control portion of MOCs in a timely manner
- Process Control Engineer is knowledgeable in the policies and procedures to safely and environmentally execute the refinery plan.
- Assures that process safety concerns and or events are escalated and investigated in a timely manner.
- Contribute to the safe execution of the asset team operating plan
- Communicates strategies to push process to multiple constraints
- Communicates lost profit opportunity due to APC applications not being utilized as designed
- Partners with Evaluations to ensure DMC controllers are working in line with operating plan
- Assists with asset team plan alignment with refinery operating plan