The Legal/Executive Coordinator:
* Serves as a member of the Legal Department;
* Reports to and performs services under the direction and supervision of the Executive Vice President and General Counsel or his/her delegate and any other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s);
* Performs complex administrative, secretarial and legal support for the General Counsel and any other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s);
* Possesses the demeanor, maturity, skill, discretion and professionalism to work and interact effectively with multiple and diverse constituencies who may be internal or external to Dignity Health and the Legal Department; and
* Strictly maintains the confidentiality of all privileged and other confidential, proprietary or non-public information that he/she may come across in the course of performing his/her duties.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
The Coordinator will have the following key duties, responsibilities and accountabilities:
* To provide general legal/executive administrative and secretarial support for the General Counsel and any other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s).
* At the direction of the General Counsel and any other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s), to prepare and proofread agreements, memoranda, charts, presentations, spreadsheets, correspondence, and other reports or records in an effective and efficient manner using the Microsoft Office product suite (including, without limitation, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and other technologies tools.
* To actively employ Practice Manager and other technologies or tools maintained in the Legal Department in the performance of administrative services and support for the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s). In this regard, the Coordinator must be or become proficient in the use and capabilities of Practice Manager and other tools or technologies.
* To facilitate, manage, administer and assist with the day-to-day professional, executive and business activities and affairs of General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s). In this regard, the Coordinator must support and enhance the effective performance of the duties and responsibilities of the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s).
* To proactively manage the complex calendars of the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s), including the scheduling of multiple and conflicting appointments, conference calls (both small and large group calls), internal and external meetings, travel and other commitments. In this regard, the Coordinator must communicate with the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s) frequently to understand calendar priorities and resolve conflicting requests; have the capability to schedule multiple parties (both internal and external) concurrently; and be proficient in the use of Microsoft Outlook's calendar functions, including its calendar invitation functions.
* To plan and organize on-site and external meetings or conferences (including videoconferences and conference calls) that may be sponsored by the Legal Department, General Counsel or other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s), including to secure appropriate conference rooms and other internal or external meeting space or locations; to arrange for and/or secure any video, audio, technical or other equipment or technology required for the meetings; to plan for and arrange any meals or other similar items required for the meetings; to support internal/external speakers; to assist with the preparation and distribution of notices and agenda for meetings; to maintain a budget for the meeting; and to provide administrative support for the meetings, when requested. The Coordinator also may attend meetings to transcribe or prepare minutes or other written records.
* To proactively plan and manage the travel arrangements of the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s), including the scheduling of airplane, hotel, rental car or transportation, and other travel arrangements. In this regard, the Coordinator must communicate with the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s) regularly to understand travel priorities, and must be or become proficient in the use of Concur (Dignity Health's travel and expense reporting system) for travel and travel, airline, hotel or rental car websites.
* To prepare, manage and submit monthly expense reports for the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s). In this regard, the Coordinator must understand Dignity Health's travel and entertainment policies and be or become proficient in the use of Concur for expense reporting.
* To prepare, manage, assemble and submit the monthly or other periodic invoices, bills and statements received from outside attorneys, law firms and consultants that perform legal or other services for Dignity Health in accordance with the standardized processes maintained by the Legal Department, including the preparation of cover sheets/approval forms; solicitation and receipt of approvals from the General Counsel or other attorneys; and submission of the package of completed approval forms and invoices to Dignity Health's accounts payable department for processing and payment.
* To solicit updates, prepare, manage, proof, assemble and submit the General Counsel Report (a written report on Dignity Health's significant outstanding litigation) included as a part of the package of materials provided for each meeting of Dignity Health's Board of Directors and its Committees.
* To prepare, update and maintain Dignity Health's corporate organizational chart. In this regard, the Coordinator must be or become proficient in the use of Visio or other programs or technology used in the preparation and maintenance of the corporate organizational chart.
* To establish, organize and maintain files and filing systems, including the maintenance of appropriate databases, for the retention of records for the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s) consistent with the requirements and practices of the Legal Department.
* To receive and manage mail for the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s) and independently answer correspondence or take appropriate action when requested or appropriate.
* To answer and receive phone calls and other communications from internal and external parties for the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s), to respond to such phone calls and communications in a professional, courteous and dignified manner, and to manage and facilitate the appropriate resolution of phone calls and communications (whether by taking a message, forwarding the call to another member of the Legal Department or otherwise).
* To support and assist the General Counsel, Vice President/Associate General Counsel â€ Legal Administration or others with the management and administration of the Legal Department, including assistance with special projects.
* To manage, organize and perform a variety of activities simultaneously (i.e., multi-task), while maintaining accurate and complete records and files.
* To demonstrate the judgment and maturity required to handle crisis or difficult situations ensuring that appropriate decisions are made and essential people are contacted in a timely manner to manage the crisis or situation.
* To strictly maintain the confidentiality of all privileged and other confidential, proprietary or non-public information or matters that he/she may come across in the course of performing his/her duties as the Coordinator, including company, transactional, personnel or administrative information and records.
* To maintain excellent working relationships and work collaboratively as a team member with and in support of (i) other members of the Dignity Health Legal Department (including attorneys, paralegals, other legal coordinators and paralegals), (ii) the Executive Leadership Team and their respective executive coordinators or other support staff, (iii) the senior leadership teams and their support staff (including corporate, service area and hospital leadership), and (iv) other internal and external constituencies.
* To demonstrate excellent human relations skills and the ability to exercise good judgment, dignity and discretion as it relates to the affairs of Dignity Health and the Legal Department.
* To proactively support the goals and initiatives of the Legal Department, both internally within the Legal Department and externally throughout Dignity Health.
* To (i) manifest a commitment to Dignity Health's Mission and Core Values, (ii) act and demonstrate behavior consistent with the Dignity Health's Core Values in fulfilling the duties and responsibilities described in this Position Description, and (iii) contribute to a positive working environment in the Legal Department for all employees.
* To perform other duties and responsibilities as may be requested from time to time by the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s).
* High school graduate or equivalency. College degree (either Associate or Bachelor Degree) preferred.
* A minimum of 10 years of prior executive secretary or executive coordinator work experience, preferably for a dynamic corporate organization, hospital, health system, large health care provider organization, health care delivery organization and/or integrated delivery system.
* A minimum of 5 years of prior legal or legal-related work experience preferred either with a law firm and/or in-house legal department. Previous experience with corporate or business law or the performance of legal services for hospitals, health systems, providers, health care delivery organizations, and/or integrated delivery systems is desirable.
* Substantial knowledge of current executive/legal secretarial and office business practices, business mathematics, proficiency in the maintenance of administrative systems, and experience with the preparation of correspondence or other basic documents with and without supervision.
* Significant experience and proficiency in the use and application of office and legal-related computer programs, systems, technology and tools, including the Microsoft Office product suite, such as Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Access (i.e., the database program). Knowledge and experience, or willingness to learn and become proficient, with Practice Manager and other technologies or tools used in the Dignity Health and the Legal Department.
* Good working knowledge of and familiarity with legal terminology; general knowledge of medical and health care-related terminology.
* Highly organized and excellent organizational skills.
* Creative, proactive, intuitive, driven and good judgment.
* Experience with working in and navigating complex and dynamic corporate organizations.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including communication in a clear, concise and practical manner. Good editing and proof-reading skills.
* Demonstrated ability to multi-task, and to prioritize, manage and turn-around significant and diverse work under pressure in an effective and timely manner and with frequent interruptions.
* Excellent telephone skills and etiquette.
* Professional appearance and demeanor.
* Ability to deal with ambiguity.
* Ability to complete tasks in a timely and effective manner.
* Demonstrated ability to work closely and maintain good working relationships with and relate well to highly driven, diverse executives and their secretaries, coordinators or assistants.
* Ability to work independently with minimal hands-on supervision, yet exhibiting good judgment in seeking guidance and direction from the General Counsel and other assigned attorney(s) or paralegal(s).
* A commitment to (i) the 'client experienceâ€? and high quality services, (ii) transparency and accountability, and (iii) being a 'team playerâ€?.
About Dignity Health
Dignity Health, one of the nation's five largest health care systems, is a 21-state network of nearly 9,000 physicians, 55,000 employees, and more than 380 care centers, including hospitals, urgent and occupational care, imaging centers, home health, and primary care clinics. Headquartered in San Francisco, Dignity Health is dedicated to providing compassionate, high-quality and affordable patient-centered care with special attention to the poor and underserved. In 2013, Dignity Health provided nearly $1.7 billion in charitable care and services. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.dignityhealth.org/
. You can also follow us on Twitter