Operations Support Engineer
The Operations Support Engineer (OSE) is a technical detective. Not only do they diagnose and investigate customer issues, they are also responsible for understanding how each of the components/services within our environment works together as well as ensuring that the overall health of our infrastructure components is maintained. The OSE is also responsible for investigating and resolving customer issues, managing hardware, software and network side of infrastructure by identifying and solving operational problems. Job Duties:
• Provide monitoring, maintenance and on-call support for our vendor based applications deployed in our data centers.
• Identifies operational problems by observing and studying system functioning and performance results; investigating complaints and suggestions and completing troubleshooting procedures.
• Build system health monitors across our environment using Racon and other similar utilities and respond to any alerts from the system.
• Troubleshoot infrastructure, network issues and diagnose problems with our vendor based application solutions for internal customers and end-users.
• Provide assistance and support to other team member as required during critical outages.
• Coordinates the installation, maintenance, and support required to maintain a variety of equipment.
• Work with ticketing system and vendor to respond to customer issues.
• Assist NOC monitoring team as required to determine customers impacted and effect during network maintenance and grooming.
• Development of operational systems and associated standard operation procedures and creation and reporting of key reports and metrics.
• Work with Product Engineering and other OSE’s team to isolate customer issues.
• Anticipates operational problems by studying operating targets, limitations and monitoring unit performance.
• Utilizes high level of communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain positive and productive working relationships by following and enforcing standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
• Work with Network Operations, Product Engineering and other Operations teams to improve reliability and to ensure support for deployment of the new releases/products.
• Provides operational management information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing operating and engineering data and trends.
• Accomplishes engineering and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
• Experience working in a software environment in a support, operations or engineering role
• At least 4-5 years’ experience in supporting IMS/voice or similar applications.
• Familiarity with Racon (Nagios), python and shell scripting
• Experience in verifying customer problems and creating problem tickets. Experience in JIRA and Rally is desirable.
• Be willing and able to learn the product so that you can answer user questions and provide guidance on how to do things.
• Intermediate knowledge of Linux OS and command line operations.
• Be able to troubleshoot and resolve issues that do not require code changes, and escalate issues that will require code changes.
• Build automation tools to streamline our day-to-day operations.
• Be familiar with Linux, MySQL and understand how they interact with the application.
• End-to-end experience in the support of IMS/voice based applications.
• Adept and comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment required.
• Experience with creating and using VMs (virtual machines) helpful.
• Understanding of Agile methodology very helpful.
Extra Credit For:
Packet Cable Multi-media (PCMM) specification knowledge
DIAMETER protocol knowledge