Responsible for performing moderate and high complexity testing. Analyzes, reviews, and reports test results and quality control results and takes remedial action when indicated. Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality control, quality assurance, and safety.
Promotes quality client/patient relations and creates supportive climate by serving as a role model for behavior. Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to the laboratory. Adheres to all laboratory policies and regulations. Works with minimal direction. Functions as a liaison between the laboratory and the laboratory clients. Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not limited to: telephones, computer keyboards and CRT, automated analyzers, centrifuges, microscopes, manual and automated pipettes. Effectively communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
Utilizes technical skills and abilities to perform laboratory testing
- Ability to competently perform all tests in moderate and high complexity testing.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting, and maintaining records of patient results.
- Understands and operates test systems proficiently.
- Ability to troubleshoot test systems and take appropriate action where indicated.
Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to ensure quality
- Follows established policies and procedures for quality control performance and documentation.
- Performs and documents scheduled and unscheduled preventative maintenance.
- Identifies problems which may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and takes appropriate action, including supervisor notification if indicated.
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.
- Participates in the laboratory continuing education program.
Effectively utilizes departmental resources
- Demonstrates efficiency by performing procedures rapidly and determining priority.
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
- Utilizes unstructured time constructively.
Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote customer relations.
- Communicates with laboratory staff and its clients to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with its customers.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to clients and patients.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment.
Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame.